What's new

AiProtection - Do I really need it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob Q

I've noticed with AiProtection enabled it does block a lot of security threats but it does slow down some of my devices such as my DCS-936L and the Netflix client of the Roku sticks. It also does block some services/sites that are not security threats.

With it disabled, I am no longer having any slowdowns on Netflix or having any other issues but then I don't have that extra protection.

I've attached the stats of what AiProtection did when it was enabled.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    66.1 KB · Views: 9,751
I've noticed with AiProtection enabled it does block a lot of security threats but it does slow down some of my devices such as my DCS-936L and the Netflix client of the Roku sticks. It also does block some services/sites that are not security threats.

With it disabled, I am no longer having any slowdowns on Netflix or having any other issues but then I don't have that extra protection.

Wow! I would leave it enabled bud!

My old router (Netgear WNDR3700v1 with dd-wrt) never had it, I think and there where no security issues that I was aware of. So, I'm not entirely sure here.

My old router (Netgear WNDR3700v1 with dd-wrt) never had it, I think and there where no security issues that I was aware of. So, I'm not entirely sure here.
Why ask when you already made up your mind?
The internet world is crazier than before... hacker are getting better and from the forum, you will realise a handful have their router compromised.
Prevention is better than cure. Disable at you own risk.

Other than that, you posted a question without much info other than your decision to disable aiprotection to resolve your problem.
What router you using? What firmware you have? What other add on you have?
In normal situation, I don’t think aiprotection is eating that much resources to slow down stuff? I do torrrent, streaming, there is no issue with aiprotection on. If aiprotection option is available, it mean the router can support it?
Can you also provide what site it is blocking? What services?

Since it's not clear what ai-protection catches, I would check to see if you are on the latest firmware on both devices.
To me, ai-protection is nice bonus for those IoT devices where either manufacture lack of support or user do not check update regularly.

It's worth having enabled I haven't experienced any fake anti virus software installing it self on my systems or any malware, whatsoever which to me is good.

I haven't really made up my mind on it, just exploring my options.
I would feel safer with it enabled for sure though.
My router is an RT-AC1900P with Merlin firmware version 384.4_2 and I'm not using any addons. Yes, this router fully supports AiProtection.
The only issue that I have noticed is that I had trouble signing up for that 'hoopla' service (my local library supports it). I need to do more testing to see if it's truly affecting the Netflix service. I've also noticed that with AiProtection enabled, hotmail wasn't coming up as fast as it should be.

So far... honestly I have to do more testing.

As for security protection, heck yeah I rather have it enabled.

Aiprotection reports back to trend micro. See routersecurity.org for details.

Wow! Just the included image you provided is enough for me to warrant telling you to keep it enabled... Unless you have another security device that can provide a dedicated UTM for your network or a different edge router.

And as the poster above me said, any suspicious packet's or malicious websites will get sent to trend micro server's for further analysis. Per their privacy policy and the agreement, you agree to before enabling aiprotection

If you feel you want to risk it and roll the dice go for it, however make sure you have a secure backup of your stuff somewhere, so in case thing's do go south. It's no big deal really

Lastly, I like to leave you with a saying we often say in the security world "there are two people when it comes to hacking. Those who have been hacked, and those who haven't been hacked yet"

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I really don't know if there are real privacy in the internet world.
Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Apple and many many more of these company has been sniffing at our data. So really..
Better off your internet and stay in the cave. Haha...
The recent facebook incident is making people say delete facebook. I looked at those articles and comments. These people should just stop using their smart phone and internet.

Off topic. Hahaha.

Anyway, better safe than sorry. All I can say.

I'm keeping it enabled until I really have an issue. I've located the causes anyway. Hotmail is just taking longer because I assume it has more security threats than most email services. Personally, I don't trust it, so AiProtection is really doing a good job at keeping all the crap out from Hotmail.
As for my DCS-936L issue, that seems interference issue with its location affecting the Wifi.
The Netflix slowdown is probably an internet thing anyway since all sorts of stuff can affect the connection speed.

"
If the router thinks the URL of a visited website might be fraudulent, it sends the URL to Trend Micro. Executable files, or content that is identified as potential malware, is also sent to the mother ship.

So too, email messages may be forwarded by the router to Trend Micro. The EULA warns that "Forwarded Data may also include email messages identified as spam or malware that contains personally identifiable information or other sensitive data stored in files on Your router.""

You definitely don't need it if you utilize good, basic security practices on your network (Which Merlin's firmware provides in plenty) and client devices, and you're essentially sending all of your web traffic to Trend Micro, so I would say you can decide based on your privacy wants and your knowledge of computer and network security (and perhaps your family's).

If you're going to disable AiProtection I would make the effort to at least install DNSCrypt and Skynet. Personally I leave it on.