What's new

Airplay is not working RT-AC5300 [Merlin 380.61]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Problems

New Around Here
I am currently using Merlin 380.61. I have IGMP snooping enabled for my lan (under IPTV), and all three wireless bands (under advanced settings). Airplay will typically work for a bit and then no longer connect. Right now my symptoms have been very consistent:
  • If I airplay from my phone over wifi to my apple tv (video) or airport express (audio), nothing will work.
  • If I airplay from my mac over ethernet to my airport express (audio), it will work for about 7-10 minutes and then no longer stream. Not sure about video to my ATV.
I saw someone else had an issue with airplay and went down to .58, but it doesn't look like I can go down as Asus is giving me a certified error on it.

I have an Asus RT-1900P, running Merlin 380.61. IGMP disabled.

Airplay works fine using MacBook Pro over wireless, and iPhone over wireless. Same for Mac Mini via ethernet.

I know it doesn't solve your problem, just wanted to provide s data point.

I have an Asus RT-1900P, running Merlin 380.61. IGMP disabled.

Airplay works fine using MacBook Pro over wireless, and iPhone over wireless. Same for Mac Mini via ethernet.

I know it doesn't solve your problem, just wanted to provide s data point.
Thanks. Are you using the smart connect, how do you have your wireless network setup?

I am not using Smart Connect. Wireless network is setup with two SSIDs, one for 2.4Ghz and one for 5Ghz.

Macbook Pro on the 5Ghz network, iPhone over the 2.4 Ghz network.

Airplay to the latest generation AppleTV. AppleTV is wired via ethernet to the Asus RT-1900P. The Mac Mini I mentioned earlier which is on ethernet goes through a cheap $20 switch which is then wired via ethernet to the router.

Using Airplay I have sent both audio and video, including Photos slideshow to the AppleTV.

Just as an experiment - can you take the Apple TV 4th Gen and put it on WiFi for a couple of days - AirPlay over ethernet has always been a bit of a challenge with the Apple TV's...

See if you still get the same drop outs -

Also, on the AirPort Express, make sure you're on the latest firmware -- the 11n versions, if I recall, as 7.6.7 these days - and there, try to stay away from Airport Utility 5.6 if you're also touching it with the Airport Utility on IOS (one or the other, not both to manage the airport)

Just as an experiment - can you take the Apple TV 4th Gen and put it on WiFi for a couple of days - AirPlay over ethernet has always been a bit of a challenge with the Apple TV's...

See if you still get the same drop outs -

Also, on the AirPort Express, make sure you're on the latest firmware -- the 11n versions, if I recall, as 7.6.7 these days - and there, try to stay away from Airport Utility 5.6 if you're also touching it with the Airport Utility on IOS (one or the other, not both to manage the airport)
The ATV is on wifi and the airport express is on the latest firmware. I think I am going to try to disable the smart connect to see what happens. If this is the issue I will be bummed because this is one of the main reasons I chose the router. I hate having to switch between 2.5 and 5 Ghz depending on what area of the house I am in...

The ATV is on wifi and the airport express is on the latest firmware. I think I am going to try to disable the smart connect to see what happens. If this is the issue I will be bummed because this is one of the main reasons I chose the router. I hate having to switch between 2.5 and 5 Ghz depending on what area of the house I am in...

For the wireless devices - it could be smart connect - maybe... but I'm also assuming that the Airport Express could be wired, as it can do Airplay both ways...

Just keep in mind that Asus Routers tend to not play well with Apple devices in some cases... esp. with regards to Airplay.

If Smart Connect turns out to be the cause, just keep Smart Connect enabled, and setup a guest network dedicated to your ATV.

If Smart Connect turns out to be the cause, just keep Smart Connect enabled, and setup a guest network dedicated to your ATV.
Great idea, I ended up disabling the 2nd 5ghz channel for smart connect (forcing everything to be on the same 5ghz channel and it seems to be working. Next I am going to try opening back up both 5ghz channels and forcing the ATV to a guest network. Really bummed if I couldn't use the smart connect as that is the main reason I purchased this router.

Did you ever get this working? I experience a similar issue where if my iPhone/iPad is on one band (5G-1), it cannot connect to the ATV or a Airplay server is on another band (5G-2.) But if they both happen to land on the same band, it works perfect.

Almost like it can't route that traffic between the two bands, which makes no sense.

Airplay used to be completely broken on Asus's routers, because Asus did not bridge multicast traffic between the various wireless and wired interfaces (Airplay requires multicast). Sometime in the (recent?) past, Asus added Avahi to their codebase, and it works OK on my 87U and 3100. I think the bug (on the 5300) is in the /tmp/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf file - Asus forgot to bridge all three wireless interfaces.

Asus has never been Apple friendly, and it doesn't need Apple's code to work...

Just keep in mind that Asus Routers tend to not play well with Apple devices in some cases... esp. with regards to Airplay.

If one is in the Apple ecosystem, there are other vendors...

No, I just left my Apple TV and air port express on 5ghz-1 and manually switch my phone over when I want to play. It is annoying and if I would have known it was going to be like this I never would have spent so much money on the router. Anyway, I hope the traffic can go across wireless channels in the future.