What's new

Alexa Skill: Turn Media Mode On - Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kian

Occasional Visitor
So this seems to be a QOS setting that can be turned on/off with Alexa.

The documentation for it is pretty weak so I am wondering if someone can shed some light on what it does exactly.

If I am understanding correctly, it prioritizes streaming media when on.

What I wanted to know is, if it's a part of QOS, can we customize it? Say for instance I want to set a download limit on streaming media of 2 MB/sec on a certain device by MAC address. Can I set this somewhere in the Merlin QOS section that will translate over to the "Alexa, turn on Media Mode" so that it startings capping download to 2 MB/sec on that device? Or heck, if not by device, even for all devices might do.

But this isn't clear to me and I do not have an Asus router right now to confirm. I have a RT-AC88U on order but it won't be here for a few days.

Wait why was this moved? This feature is also in Merlin and I want to use the Merlin firmware.

Wait why was this moved? This feature is also in Merlin and I want to use the Merlin firmware.

More visibility, since the whole Alexa implementation is closed source, and therefore 100% identical to the stock firmware's.

More visibility, since the whole Alexa implementation is closed source, and therefore 100% identical to the stock firmware's.

Ah ok. Hmm. Sorry then, you can close the other thread I just created in Merlin forum :x

Do you happen to know anything about this Merlin?

Ah ok. Hmm. Sorry then, you can close the other thread I just created in Merlin forum :x

Do you happen to know anything about this Merlin?

Nothing. If it were up to me, I would remove IFTTT and Alexa support, because they're potential security disasters just waiting to happen. I've only kept them enabled because they were part of the stock firmware, and I didn't look at how they were implemented or how they worked.

Is it because of certain commands allowing Internet to turn off? If thats the case maybe you/we can contact Asus and tell them to just remove that command from Alexa. I feel like the other commands can come in handy, especially the one I have a question about if it can do what I want.

Honestly the only reason I want to use Merlin is for the Selective Routing with VPN. Your firmware is awesome for implementing that but it begs the question why didnt Asus bake it into the stock firmware?

Honestly the only reason I want to use Merlin is for the Selective Routing with VPN. Your firmware is awesome for implementing that but it begs the question why didnt Asus bake it into the stock firmware?

They are working on their own implementation, called VPN Fusion. I believe it's still a work-in-progress, currently only available on the GT-AC5300. Our respective implementations are quite different, each having its strengths and limitations.

Is it because of certain commands allowing Internet to turn off? If thats the case maybe you/we can contact Asus and tell them to just remove that command from Alexa. I feel like the other commands can come in handy, especially the one I have a question about if it can do what I want.

I don't know if it's required for Alexa support, but IFTTT support requires you to open your router's webui to the Internet, a major security liability.

And I don't like the fact that Alexa requires some communication to occur between your router and some other device/service/server/whatever, which adds more potential outside doors to your network.

Routers are meant to be security devices, not toys. They should focus on that rather than interconnect with a multitude of third party services. People who want to control their security devices should always do so through an authenticated mechanism, for instance a web interface protected by a username, password, and only reachable from within your LAN.

I don't know if it's required for Alexa support, but IFTTT support requires you to open your router's webui to the Internet, a major security liability.

And I don't like the fact that Alexa requires some communication to occur between your router and some other device/service/server/whatever, which adds more potential outside doors to your network.

Routers are meant to be security devices, not toys. They should focus on that rather than interconnect with a multitude of third party services. People who want to control their security devices should always do so through an authenticated mechanism, for instance a web interface protected by a username, password, and only reachable from within your LAN.

Do you know if VPN Fusion has a kill switch like your firmware does?

Also, do they have plans to release VPN Fusion on there other routers like the RT-AC88U?

Do you know if VPN Fusion has a kill switch like your firmware does?

I don't know, I haven't looked in depth at it. No idea what are their future plans for it either.