What's new

Alternative firmware for R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JokerPower

Regular Contributor
Hello guys

I'm using R7000 with genie firmware for about 3 years, and I'm tired of their buggy software. Recently updated to the latest firmware and now WiFi is unstable and the speed is slow.

I need a stable firmware that can run 500 Mbps downstream and 500 Mbps upstream and also provide good WiFi coverage & speeds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

There is the DD-WRT, Kong Mod and Tomato Firmware by shibby FW.

Last edited:
You won't be able to get 500 Mbps without hardware acceleration, which is generally not available on third party firmware.

I've updated to the latest AdvancedTomato firmware which have hardware acceleration. Tried the download, and it's about 62 MB/s. WiFi works ok, but it's too early to compare with genie. I like that admin page is more speedy and well structured, also the main page shows a lot more useful information.

What about Xwrt Vortex?

I've updated to the latest AdvancedTomato firmware which have hardware acceleration. Tried the download, and it's about 62 MB/s. WiFi works ok, but it's too early to compare with genie. I like that admin page is more speedy and well structured, also the main page shows a lot more useful information.

What about Xwrt Vortex?
AdvancedTomato is just a GUI based on Tomato (by Shibby) and have you realised that the latest Tomato build is dated May 2017 ? So, no matter how often that GUI is updated, the problem is that the 'engine' is old, very old, therefore you router doesn't have the latest security patches...

As for Vortex firmware, it's a no-go as it's illegal, period !

AdvancedTomato is just a GUI based on Tomato (by Shibby) and have you realised that the latest Tomato build is dated May 2017 ? So, no matter how often that GUI is updated, the problem is that the 'engine' is old, very old, therefore you router doesn't have the latest security patches...

As for Vortex firmware, it's a no-go as it's illegal, period !

What exactly do you recommend? DD-WRT?

Ok, thanks, I will look into this

I don't like stock because their releases are often buggy and unstable. It's not about the speed I get through ethernet, which is ok. For example, I have updated to latest release 1.0.9.34 and the WiFi became unstable. Like you're browsing and suddenly there is no Internet connection (device is still connected to the router). It was on all WiFi connections, only wired worked ok. The only fix was to restart the router, but it's temporary.

Older firmwares also were buggy. Slow WiFi speeds, WiFi connection drops (device loses connection with the router), and even ethernet connection drops

Sadly I don't remember the firmware number before 1.0.9.34, it was less buggy than other releases..

Just look into their community forum, how many people complain.. it's not a single case

Good to know, didn't know about this

AsusWRT can be installed on R7000?

Just to clarify a few things.

Asuswrt is the name of the firmware Asus develop for their own routers. It's not available as a stand-alone firmware, it comes pre-installed with their routers.
Asuswrt-Merlin is my variant, based on Asuswrt, which I develop for some specific Asus models.
Xvortex is a variant of my firmware, which breaks various licensing contracts with Trend Micro/Tuxera and various others, and also breaks the GPL licence, to run on some non-Asus routers. This firmware is illegal, due to its licence violations.
The Chinese community also has various variants based on Asuswrt/Asuswrt-Merlin/Xvortex that run on various models, some of which non-Asus, and also violating multiple licences.

Tomato development is still alive tho, with other devs having picked up where Shibby left of. I don't remember if Advanced Tomato switched to these more up-to-date forks however.

Just look into their community forum, how many people complain.. it's not a single case

To be fair, I see forum complains for every single router, regardless of manufacturer or firmware. A lot of people complaining didn't troubleshoot their clients or their environment first.

Overall, the R7000 is generally a pretty good model when it comes to wifi. Security and feature-wise however, the stock firmware is indeed fairly... poor, to remain polite.

Tomato development is still alive tho, with other devs having picked up where Shibby left of. I don't remember if Advanced Tomato switched to these more up-to-date forks however.
Are you able to post a link where those up-to-date Tomato forks are being developed ?

Looking for recommended starting point or link or forum. Netgear R7000 - frustrated beyond $%*& but looking for alternate opensource approach to utilizing this device. Searched and saw recommendations for ASUSWRT-MERLIN - but read the firmware is illegal. Looked at DDWRT but read that overkill for most and quite complex. And then saw tomato advanced version that could be used. I downloaded freshtomato-R7000 -initial, back-to-ofw, freshtomato-R7000-ARM-2018.4-AIO-64K, freshtomato-R7000-ARM-2018.4-VPN-64K. Unsure of steps to perform the changes without bricking my unit. Also, I may be using OpenVPN client forconnecting to PIA VPN.
Recommendations PLEASE?

I think he also need step by step instructions, guidelines, walk through to make it right.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!