What's new

Am I still on CGNAT?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Caple

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone.
Long story short: I was on CGNAT and asked my provider to give me a real and unique IPv4 connection.
They said they did it.
Now I see the same IP on Speedtest and my modem status page. Before I was seeing different IPs, showing I was behind another router.

Now I noticed, using tracert to check a problem (tracing to 192.168.1.1), that my connection goes from my router (192.168.0.1) to a 10.29.xxx.xxx and then to a 192.168.1.1 router.
If I tracert to some site, like Google.com, my connection does not reach that 192.168.1.1. It goes from 10.29.xxx.xxx to Google's IP.
So, am I still on CGNAT?

It's a big ISP. TV, internet and telephone cable company.
I'm their client for a long time and I didn't have this "problem" on my home town. I'm having now.

Are you trying to open ports so external clients can connect to your network? If you properly open the port and they still show as blocked or filtered, I think there is nothing you can do to change that, from a networking perspective. CGNAT is beyond your control, afaik.

My ISP just recently upgraded and now the first hop has changed to a private IP, but otherwise everything is normal. The following link explains it.

http://superuser.com/questions/7778...p-address-right-after-my-router-even-though-i

Well, I believe I'm not being hijacked. Maybe the link provided by Nullity explains what is happening here.
I also noticed a connection drop like the last time. The modem keeps connected, but the connection does not respond and some website timeout when trying to access it. It loads ok after a refresh on the page.
Maybe, if I'm on the example provided, the CMTS is overloaded os just faulty.
I can't complain about it to see what they tell me.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!