What's new

Amatuer question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnathonm

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I hope you are all well. I am considering doing some testing on my network as my performance is very sub-par. I wanted to setup a configuration that looks like the following to see if it will overcome some of the issues I am seeing:

modem ---> 1 gig switch unmanaged ---> router

I am not sure if I can actually do this but if I can what would the cat 6a wiring look like? Would it require a twisted pair from the switch to the LAN port? Or can I just use a standard cat 6a cable from the switch to the router. I need to ensure that the router gets assigned an IP from Comcast.

Thanks for your guidance.

J

A (unmanaged) switch is just a switch.

You don't give any details at all about the modem, switch or router :rolleyes: so in the absence of any other information I'd say, just connect one Ethernet cable between the modem and one on the switch's ports. Then connect another cable between the router's WAN port and another of the switch's ports. Done. Make sure nothing else is plugged into the switch.

Last edited:
Begs the question...why are you putting a switch in front of the router?

Thiggins et al.,

I wanted to ensure the connections that are hardwired are free of any interference from the router. I am running a linksys EA9500 which, from what I have seen, is fairly locked down. I am limited to only a small array of options and hate it.

Maybe a better question would be: I hate my linksys EA9500 because of how locked down it is, essentially making it a black box. I have 1 gig internet service from comcast and am running off an MB8600. Would you be able to recommend a router which could handle that bandwidth (hardwired)? I could never get my old Netgear X10 to handle the 1 gig connection, so I would definitely be up for purchasing a new router as I have decided I hate linksys. :)

I wanted to ensure the connections that are hardwired are free of any interference from the router.
The Comcast MB8600 is a cable modem and does not include routing functions. You have to connect a router to share the internet connection from the cable modem.

Be advised that maximum throughput you'll see from a Gigabit connection is around 940 Mbps, due to TCP/IP overhead.

What features are you looking for in a router? An ASUS RT-AC86U probably has every feature you are looking for and should be able to keep up with a Gigabit Ethernet connection.

Thanks for the guidance thiggins, I just placed the order.