What's new

Amazon Gives Alexa Eyes In Your Home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
amazon_alexa_show.jpg
After leaks yesterday, Amazon officially put the latest member of its Echo/Alexa product family up for sale on its front page a few hours ago.

Amazon Echo Show adds a 5 MP camera and 7" color touchscreen to Alexa's bag of tricks. So now Amazon's "ambient computing" presence in your home has eyes as well as ears.

Echo Show is powered by an Intel Atom x5-Z8350 processor and has an eight microphone array and stereo speakers built into a compact box small enough to sit on your kitchen counter or bedside table. Amazon, however, cheaped out on the radio, making it only a/b/g/n, not ac. At least they made it dual band. It comes in black or white, although both versions have a black front panel.
amazon_echo_show.jpg

Amazon's new beastie supports all Alexa's skills including smart home device integration, Amazon shopping and music streaming. But with video now added, you can request video briefings from at least CNN, if the promotional video is accurate. Video calling is supported to other Echo Shows and to Android and iOS devices via apps.

By the time you read this, pre-orders will probably be all gone. But when the next batch is ready, you can order it for $230 for one or get $100 off if you order two. Pre-orders start shipping June 28.

How is this really any different than say...a phone or a tablet. I've thought about building an alexa or google home device on my own with the SDK's that are out there. But we have a couple holder cell phones that we use for asking google questions. I'm still considering it as a project for me and my 10 y.o. boy to do. But the above really is kind of silly in my opinion. Well, unless you're totally beholden to Alexa I guess.

It's different in that it comes as a preconfigured appliance.

Alexa really wants to watch you pee...

LOL :D

You won't find one of these devices in my house...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!