What's new

Amazon Sidewalk - What do you think?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bones5050

Regular Contributor
Not sure if anyone saw this, but I have some real concerns with Amazon implementing this type of technology and the potential security risks associated. Thoughts?

A new feature is launching on your Echo device: Amazon Sidewalk.

Amazon Sidewalk is a shared network that helps devices work better. For example, if your device loses its wifi connection, Sidewalk can simplify reconnecting to your router and help set up new Echo devices. Sidewalk can also extend the coverage for Sidewalk-enabled devices, such as Ring smart lights and pet and object trackers, so they can stay connected and continue to work over longer distances.

When enabled, Sidewalk uses a small portion of your Internet bandwidth to provide these services to you and your neighbors. This setting will apply to all of your supported Echo and Ring devices that are linked to your Amazon account.

Learn more about Amazon Sidewalk.

Sidewalk is coming to your Echo device later this year, but you can disable this feature at any time from the Amazon Alexa app.

I just read the email. I love how they always make stuff like this an opt-out instead of opt-in. If it truly only uses the minuscule amount of bandwidth they claim, then the only thing it can really be used for is location tracking and eavesdropping. They were probably doing it already but decided they had better market it as something beneficial before an insider revealed the truth. Maybe it’s time to make my home dumb again and divest myself of these devices.

Not sure if anyone saw this, but I have some real concerns with Amazon implementing this type of technology and the potential security risks associated. Thoughts?

A new feature is launching on your Echo device: Amazon Sidewalk.

Amazon Sidewalk is a shared network that helps devices work better. For example, if your device loses its wifi connection, Sidewalk can simplify reconnecting to your router and help set up new Echo devices. Sidewalk can also extend the coverage for Sidewalk-enabled devices, such as Ring smart lights and pet and object trackers, so they can stay connected and continue to work over longer distances.

When enabled, Sidewalk uses a small portion of your Internet bandwidth to provide these services to you and your neighbors. This setting will apply to all of your supported Echo and Ring devices that are linked to your Amazon account.

Learn more about Amazon Sidewalk.

Sidewalk is coming to your Echo device later this year, but you can disable this feature at any time from the Amazon Alexa app.

Amazon Sidewalk... crowd-sourced neighborhood networking over your home network and Bluetooth Low Energy (near) and 900 MHz (far) Amazon Sidewalk Gateway IoT devices and Amazon and third party cloud servers!

What do I think? Hell no! And you're an idiot if you buy an Eero network and/or Amazon IoT devices.

OE

Sounds like they are trying to copy Comcast.
For those of you who have Xfinity, can you opt out of sharing your WiFi with any in-range Comcast subscriber?

For those of you who have Xfinity, can you opt out of sharing your WiFi with any in-range Comcast subscriber?

With BLE and 900 MHz, it sounds like they are trying to fix home WiFi to benefit/make feasible their IoT sales... and then take it to a whole nother level.

OE

Yes, but they make doing so a challenge. If you are able to log into your account, go into settings, and turn off WiFi Hot Spot sharing.
The challenge occurs when they randomly reset your modem, and the wifi hot spot is reactivated.

I will be blocking this as soon as we reverse engineer its connectivity. May have to stop using amazon all together as a result. This is not the same thing as internet provider using their bandwidth to provide local hotspots. The bandwidth up to your home is theirs to begin with and you didn't think that "free modem and router" was really free did you. This is amazon deciding to use your internet bandwidth and allow you and your neighbors and anyone driving by to use their sidewalk enabled devices over the bandwidth you paid for their own commercial benefit.

STRONG PASS

I just read the email. I love how they always make stuff like this an opt-out instead of opt-in. If it truly only uses the minuscule amount of bandwidth they claim, then the only thing it can really be used for is location tracking and eavesdropping. They were probably doing it already but decided they had better market it as something beneficial before an insider revealed the truth. Maybe it’s time to make my home dumb again and divest myself of these devices.

exactly my thoughts lmao. You are reading my mind. I just shut mine off today. (who knows if it really goes off) lol...

Supposedly its for things like smart locks, or smart keys and dog trackers when you lose them. Doesn't seem like something that would benefit me in any way.

I will be blocking this as soon as we reverse engineer its connectivity. May have to stop using amazon all together as a result. This is not the same thing as internet provider using their bandwidth to provide local hotspots. The bandwidth up to your home is theirs to begin with and you didn't think that "free modem and router" was really free did you. This is amazon deciding to use your internet bandwidth and allow you and your neighbors and anyone driving by to use their sidewalk enabled devices over the bandwidth you paid for their own commercial benefit.

STRONG PASS

I think its even worse then amazon man. That's your router you're talking about which is the most sensitive device on your network, and its alot more bandwidth being used. You also pay for the bandwidth.