What's new

Another NAS build thread...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iddqd

New Around Here
Hey guys, I'm obviously new to the boards but I've read SNB for a while now.

I'm getting ready to build this setup and I was hoping someone would give it a once-over to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Purpose:
* Capable of streaming high def media
* General file storage
* Expandable, redundant (RAID 5?)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120T 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-I Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.98 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($127.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($127.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($97.99 @ Adorama)

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($104.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 400W PSU ($49.98 @ NCIX US)

Total: $927.87 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-22 14:52 EST-0500)

What software will give you all the features you want/need?
I put that ahead of choosing hardware.

Narrowed down to 2 options: XBMC or Windows + Plex.

Since I can't use FreeNAS with Plex, I have to look for something purpose-built.

You're pushing $1000 for that box.
XBMC and the like will run nicely on a much less costly system that uses less AC power.

Did you consider using a NAS-only box (DIY or commercial), and a low cost mini-ITX near the TV? Due to HDMI cabling? Zotac?

But hey, I'm cheap.

I don't care about the component costs - Zotac is a great brand, but they were actually more expensive for what I needed (at least going off today's prices). I want a media/file server that will stand the test of time (for at LEAST 3 years) before I need to think about the processor/motherboard.

There are very few NAS-only boxes that can run something like Plex (forget XBMC) and give me the functionality I want. Really I just wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting something with the build list.

Thanks for looking!

Unfortunately, I'm in an apartment, so it will be near the TV. I doubt it will make much noise, the Fractal case (and PSU) I went with have big, slow fans.