What's new

Antenna polariation in Asus routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vlsireddy

New Around Here
Hi,
newbie to this forum.

i looked at tech specs of various Asus routers. Nowhere is the info on antenna polarization.
what is the best way to get such info.

Thanks

there are many helpful youtube videos explaning antenna theory, like this one.

as to your question, 1/4 wavelength dipole antennas (like those on Asus and most other consumer grade wifi routers) are linearly polarized; polarization is in the same plane that you angle the antenna.

Hi,
newbie to this forum.

i looked at tech specs of various Asus routers. Nowhere is the info on antenna polarization.
what is the best way to get such info.

Thanks
Best guess based on observations: For external antennas the strongest signal will be at right angles to the physical axis (AKA the donut pattern).

For internal antennas most likely at right angles to the largest face of the box (ie, the antennas are likely installed "flat" in the box).

14182_186_1.jpg

Best guess based on observations: For external antennas the strongest signal will be at right angles to the physical axis (AKA the donut pattern).
[...]

the signal will be weakest when the antennas are at right angles to each other.

edit: btw i'm referring to antenna position (angle) of the transmitter antenna versus that of the receiver antenna. maximum RF power transfer happens when both transmitter and receiver antennas are positioned at the same angle.

Last edited by a moderator: