What's new

Any ASUSTOR AS-6204T Users out there?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevmeist1

New Around Here
I have been looking at NASs recently to replace my aging HP EX-495 Windows Home Server.

I would appreciate anyone having a AS-6204T thoughts as to their likes and/or dislikes about this NAS.

TIA,

Kevin

I have been looking at NASs recently to replace my aging HP EX-495 Windows Home Server.

I would appreciate anyone having a AS-6204T thoughts as to their likes and/or dislikes about this NAS.

I've been using an AS-5004T for a year now. Works great as a Kodi box, replacing my Zotac HTPC. The NAS part of it works decently, just don't expect a lot of software bells & whistles like QNAP offers. Asustor updates the firmware a couple of times a year, so it's actively developed.

Can't comment on the AS-6204T hardware however, as it's a bit different from my 5004T, but the software is identical.

I've been using an AS-5004T for a year now. Works great as a Kodi box, replacing my Zotac HTPC. The NAS part of it works decently, just don't expect a lot of software bells & whistles like QNAP offers. Asustor updates the firmware a couple of times a year, so it's actively developed.

Can't comment on the AS-6204T hardware however, as it's a bit different from my 5004T, but the software is identical.
Thanks for the reply. I will use Kodi little if at all. I'm more interested in file storage in a single place and backups. From talking to ASUSTOR, their backup solution will not wake the PC up like Windows Home Server does for PC backups. The PCs here are pretty much used for program storage (i.e. very few locally stored files).

Kevin

Thanks for the reply. I will use Kodi little if at all. I'm more interested in file storage in a single place and backups. From talking to ASUSTOR, their backup solution will not wake the PC up like Windows Home Server does for PC backups. The PCs here are pretty much used for program storage (i.e. very few locally stored files).

In general, I don't bother with desktop backup solutions provided by NAS manufacturers (this is different from their NAS-to-USB backup), and go with my own, more advanced products. Personally, I use Acronis True Image to backup my main PC, storing images on the NAS. I also have a customer who uses FBackup within their non-profit organization, backing user profiles to their QNAP NAS.

If you don't need any of the advanced NAS features, then Asustor is a good compromise to save a good bit of money. My 5004T has been 100% stable here, and the one time I needed to deal with their tech support (concerning an issue with their LED scheduler), their tech support remotely accessed my NAS (after I set things up for them) to fix a cron-related issue.

In general, I don't bother with desktop backup solutions provided by NAS manufacturers (this is different from their NAS-to-USB backup), and go with my own, more advanced products. Personally, I use Acronis True Image to backup my main PC, storing images on the NAS. I also have a customer who uses FBackup within their non-profit organization, backing user profiles to their QNAP NAS.

If you don't need any of the advanced NAS features, then Asustor is a good compromise to save a good bit of money. My 5004T has been 100% stable here, and the one time I needed to deal with their tech support (concerning an issue with their LED scheduler), their tech support remotely accessed my NAS (after I set things up for them) to fix a cron-related issue.
Thanks again for the reply.

The WHS backs up the PCs automatically to the server. I backup the server itself every 2 weeks to an ESATA attached drive on the server. Then once per month, I put another standalone HD into the server and backup the server shares to that HD. Those separate HDs are used on a father/son rotation basis with the latest generation stored at my son's home.

BTW, I stopped using True Image many years ago having had some problems that, now, I can't even remember.

K

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!