What's new

Any Civil Engineer Here?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andy

New Around Here
Short version: Would it be worth it to back to college and get a second Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering? How good in math do I need to be?

Long version: In 2010 I received my Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science or formerly known as Clinical Laboratory Science or Medical Technology. Basically we collect samples and perform tests to analyze body fluids, tissues, and other substances along with other duties. The doctors review these results to diagnose/treatment decision for the patient. If you want to know more about this field you can CLICK HERE to read more about it :D.

Since graduation I only work at one place, full time at a hospital lab since 2010. The salary is about $43K a year, which is lower than other hospitals in the area. The hospital haven't give out end of year bonus for a few years now. This year the hospital took away some health benefits, lower retirement benefits, increase insurance rate, took away sick time along with some other stuffs. The Laboratory Administration doesn't give a crap about the employees except for a selected few. They schedule my come in time anywhere from 6 A.M to 9 A.M, I can be on the schedule for 9 on Monday and 7 on Tuesday and 8 on Wednesday etc. People are leaving and not getting replaced. They don't want to give out overtime but still want the workload completed while we are short staffed. I tried talking to the Lab Admin about this, but it didn't do anything. For the past few months I been looking for job position at other hospitals that I like in the area and went on interviews, but unfortunately I didn't get the job.

Is not that I don't like being a "lab rat", I think is not worth it. We also get a lot of crap from nurses and doctors and get blamed on for no reason. The pay isn't really that good either. So I was thinking about going back to school for another degree. I was looking through the programs offered at a local university and I was thinking Civil Engineering.

Is it worth it for me to get a second bachelor degree? I'm 31 years old right now and the Civil Engineering degree is a 4 years program for a Bachelor of Science. I struggled with Calculus when I was in college (~10 years ago) but I managed to get a C for the class, how much harder math will it takes for civil engineering? Will hard work get me through the math or do I have to be naturally good at it? What do you think the job outlook will be, will I be able to easily find a full time job when I finished school? Does Civil Engineer really make close to $80K a year?

I'm not a Civil Engineer but my brother in law is. I can't speak to the work or what not but I know for math in college he had to take Calc I, II, III, and Differential Equations (typical with most if not all Engineering disciplines). Once you receive the degree you have to work under a Principal Engineer for I think it's 8yrs before you can take your PE exam which allows you to sign engineering documents. Salary before your PE can vary widely but once you have a PE you generally do a lot better.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!