What's new

Any downside to this config?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

... but I'm a contributor to the standard, and have worked on chipsets, devices, and products/services...
Do you have a link to the technical standards docs? It's something that I've been interested in for a while now but couldn't find any official documentation. Probably buried somewhere on the IEEE site.:rolleyes:

Unless there is a physical reason why Ethernet can not be connected, it is worth the time and effort to properly run an Ethernet cord to the TV, because it is a bandwidth intensive device. I have done 300ft Ethernet runs. If you own your home then this option is that much more attractive. If you use cable TV + cablemodem, then it may make sense to relocate your NAS, Modem, Router with the TV.

Last edited:
umm. I can run 3 xbmc boxes serving HD content to 3 TVs in different parts of my house from a nas box. You don't need a cable for a TV. This wasn't an issue even on older wifi routers.

This "advice" is really bad, honestly... as each one of those "SSID's" will take up management time... and that impacts overall performance on the wireless side...

http://www.revolutionwifi.net/revolutionwifi/p/ssid-overhead-calculator.html

Didn't post here but I ended up going through management traffic overhead articles and found that my current setup is OK I suppose, from that standpoint since I only have 2 unique SSIDs operating, one combined and one guest 5GHz.
Checked the backup throughput logs from my laptops and they are what they were before, around 80Mbps (with data going to a wired desktop I use to store all my computers' backups).