What's new

Any experience with flashrouters.com?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dikkiedirk

Regular Contributor
Does any of you have any experience with flashrouters.com.

Do they just take a router, put dd-wrt or tomato firmware on it and that's it?

Or do they add some "magic" to it, so the routers becomes a whole different beast?

Do they add extra features to the firmware and add extra support.

Can someone please explain?

Can we built our own flashrouter by flashing it with tomato or dd-wrt?

It's been a while since I've looked at them closely, but they offered me no benefit that isn't available freely on the net.

The prices for the routers are way too high, but they have to be for them to make money on this 'service' they provide.

It's been a while since I've looked at them closely, but they offered me no benefit that isn't available freely on the net.

The prices for the routers are way too high, but they have to be for them to make money on this 'service' they provide.
I agree. They are a rip off. It's not worth paying $100 for. $40 router which can be flashed in under 5min yourself.

Worthless site. You can do it yourself easy. I even flashed a WRT54G V6 with DD-WRT and it was a challenge but I got it done. DD-WRT and Tomato is a simple flash of firmware on linux based routers. Hell send your router to me and I'll do it for half the price they charge. LOL!

While it is possible to flash a router with DD-WRT on your own, many users wind up bricking their router rendering it useless, or flashing incorrect firmware, which can cause a networking headache. Since “flashing” voids all manufacturer warranties, FlashRouters provides a separate 90 Day Warranty of its own to all customers. Purchasing from FlashRouters provides non-technical users peace of mind when making the jump to using a DD-WRT router.

Additional support services are also included with FlashRouter purchases; specifically OpenVPN client setup support for all major VPN providers like HideMyAss!, PrivateInternetAccess, IPVanish, and many more. The OpenVPN setup is often complicated and intimidating for end users, but provides an excellent layer of networking security. FlashRouters is the only supplier of official open source DD-WRT and Tomato router VPN solutions for these VPN companies. Other features like DD-WRT wireless extender setups are also included when purchasing from FlashRouters, which would not be supported directly when flashing on your own.

Finally, at FlashRouters, we make a strong effort to support Open Source development. We therefore donate to Open Source projects like DD-WRT and TomatoUSB firmware, as well as the OpenSSL team to help grow these communities for everyone’s benefit, whether you purchase a router from us or not.

LOL. Warranty, considering flashrouter's pricing, you can easily buy two units.
I doubt their support is even half as good as the support you get when directly asking questions in dd-wrt forum. They will also tell you how to fix a bad flash yourself.

There is also no proof, that flashrouters actually supports dd-wrt/tomato.

I donated my old router to a dd-wrt developer this year and he told me, that in 5 years of development he received 5 routers, 4 of them were donated by myopenrouter and only one by a user. He also said, that donations for one year allow him to buy e expensive or two cheap routers.

This makes me very sad. Especially if you see company offers, that charge this kind of money for their "testing".

I think people under estimate how much it costs to cover wages, business taxes, warranty, support time, cost of doing business, stock purchase, accountancy and other business things which will all be covered by the price.

Also, this is a service for people who might not have the technical ability nor the time for forum support; just because its easy and quick for you to do does not mean its easy and quick for someone else.

Brainslayer is a full time employee of the company behind DD-WRT, so it makes atleast enough money to pay his wages (could be others too). Companies pay to have DD-WRT pre installed (such as Buffalo).

Last edited:
I think people under estimate how much it costs to cover wages, business taxes, warranty, support time, cost of doing business, stock purchase, accountancy and other business things which will all be covered by the price.

Also, this is a service for people who might not have the technical ability nor the time for forum support; just because its easy and quick for you to do does not mean its easy and quick for someone else.

wow u really hate them :D

They've been around for years so they must be providing a valuable service. Why so harsh? Not everyone is good at DIY.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!