What's new

Any reason not to buy a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S20 + (plus) at launch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dylanmitchell

Regular Contributor
I'm planning to buy a Galaxy S20+ at launch from Verizon. I usually wait a few months before buying a new device but they're offering great trade-in deals. Any reason not to buy an S20 + at launch? The main question is if waiting a few months to buy the S20 + will mean I get a better device with early defects sorted out. Prefer the size of the base model S20 launching in Q2 2020 but not sure how they're going to figure out how to fit a mmWave chip in it.

S20 is the first 5G device I've been excited about and is fully developed tech vs first-gen 5G phone like the S10 5G. S20 5G has Snapdragon 865, and X55 with mmWave and sub-6GHz spectrum. X60 was just announced but that will be launching in 2021. Verizon is launching with the S20+ and S20 but not the S20 base because it doesn't have mmWave. Verizon is promising a base model for Q2 2020. Rolling out a device without access to Verizon's mmWave based network wouldn't make sense for Verizon. They are slowly rolling out low band sub-6GHz spectrum but a deice without access to the faster mmWave would be pointless.

Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G ($1,399 retail)
Galaxy S20+ 5G ($1,199 retail)
Galaxy S20 5G 5G low-band network” = sub-6 ($999 retail) not at Verizon, possible Verzion version with mmWave in Q2 2020.

The only reason to not buy? Do you need it? :)

I definitely need a new device. Still have the S7 I've been holding onto while waiting for a full developed 5G device and San Diego is part of the early 5G roll out

S7 and you've waited for the S20? Can you buy me one too? :D

Yes there is a reason. Samsung is not behaving nicely with this release and the reviews will tell the truth:
- The finger print sensor is not changed from S10 / S10+. Nobody really mentions this since they want to keep it a secret but the fact is that the S10 FP is slow and very often does not work. It works like the S7 sensor.
- There is no optical zoom on S20 and S20+ (only on Ultra). Samsung is hoping nobody will notice but fortunately more and more medias started thinking. And it is obvious if you really understand tech and the numbers.

The price. What would justify spending more money on a smart phone with a typical life expectancy of around 3 years than on a mid to high end laptop that would last 5-7 years?

I consider anything over 999$ to be too expensive for a smartphone.

Phones are going for the cost of a mid to high-end laptop and won't last as long. And features like 12 GB of RAM aren't needed on a phone. With pre-order trade-in and promo credit, you can get down to $850 on an S20+. But that's still a lot of money. I prefer the size of the base S20 but it doesn't have mmWave. An S20E would be a great option most of the features and a lower price like the S10E

Verizon Galaxy S20+ $1,200

minus $200 for S7 trade-in

minus $150 for Verizon promotions

Total: $850 plus tax plus taxes (here taxes are on full retail of phone and our area is 8.25%). I rounded up to whole numbers.

You can get the S20+ for $850 with the pre-order promo and trade-in credit for an S7. Newer phones have higher trade-in values. You also receive $150 Samsung credit but it's only good for a limited selection of products and chargers that have sold out. Credit for a limited selection of products not money off the device so I didn't include it above.

Trade-in and promo credit requires monthly device payments. Verizon credits the $200 trade-in at $16.65 per month and the $150 promo at $12.50 per month both over a 24 month period. The monthly cost is a normal bill plus monthly device payment minus monthly trade-in and monthly promo credit. If you cancel your plan before 24 months is up you have to pay the remaining balance on the device and lose the trade-in and promo credits.

Last edited: