What's new

Anybody using these tiny USB 3.0 Flash drives with asusWRT-Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MRxROBOT

Occasional Visitor
Any experiences with these? Thoughts? My router is constantly on the move with me and it would be nice to have a set and forget bit of extra storage. One in each port could give me 256GB of storage :D

Lexar S45, Samsung Fit, Sandisk Ultra Fit?

I've heard the SanDisk runs really hot which could be an issue.

00_62409_00_200x200.jpg
0459074_951905.jpg
thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Read that the Sandisk Ultra Fit gets too hot running 24/7 ?

I've been running a Sandisk 32GB Cruzer Force USB3.0 for the last year without issue...

Got 2 sandisk 64gb on my r7000 with xwrt (port of merlin) and no prob since you don't fill it in a row (get hot while copying). Very useful for dlna.

A 16GB Ultra Fit gets really hot, the 32GB gets even hotter. I don't want to imagine about the heat generated by 128GB & 256GB versions.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They do get pretty warm - even better are the little WiFi 802.11n mini adapters - they get very, very hot under load...

I recommend using a usb 'extension' cable when a usb key is used constantly.

The key may still heat up. But it will protect the host equipment (and plug) from the excess heat.

They do get pretty warm - even better are the little WiFi 802.11n mini adapters - they get very, very hot under load...

The little WiFi adapter - it's a Buffalo/Melco thing I picked up in Japan - works pretty well - realtek - but get's hotter than heck - to scale - see below...

wifi_n_adapter.JPG

USB Storage/Flash devices - just as much stuff going on inside...

(BTW - that BT 2.0 adapter, pretty awesome, Broadcom and Class 1 which is big power for BT - can sniper BT headsets/phones from 1000ft/300m away, lol)

Nobody here has had any Driver issues with these nano USB Flash drives? Good to hear!

My SSD in an external case is having driver issues :oops: but I suppose that isn't a big deal as it's overkill for this setup. Just something I wanted to use on an as needed basis.

What I buy next will be specifically for the router, I want to be sure there will be no issues.

Thanks for all the Feedback everybody!

Last edited:
Using a Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 - 16GB and it does get hot, but seems to work fine...

Thanks for the feedback on this drive. One of the drives I was considering purchasing as it's so readily available but hesitant because of the heat generated.

Do you have it plugged into a USB 3 port on your router? If so is it attached on a 'permanent' basis or just as needed basis?

The little WiFi adapter - it's a Buffalo/Melco thing I picked up in Japan - works pretty well - realtek - but get's hotter than heck - to scale - see below...

View attachment 6156

USB Storage/Flash devices - just as much stuff going on inside...

(BTW - that BT 2.0 adapter, pretty awesome, Broadcom and Class 1 which is big power for BT - can sniper BT headsets/phones from 1000ft/300m away, lol)

This is connected to your router?

A 16GB Ultra Fit gets really hot, the 32GB gets even hotter. I don't want to imagine about the heat generated by 128GB & 256GB versions.

Yes, that is exactly why I'm reading. Do you have one connected to your router?

Got 2 sandisk 64gb on my r7000 with xwrt (port of merlin) and no prob since you don't fill it in a row (get hot while copying). Very useful for dlna.

To be clear, you are using 2x Ultra Fit?

Last edited:
yes. got music for dlna on 1 and ext2 for veeam endpoint on the second (which make it hot while copying full bare metal without other problem)

yes. got music for dlna on 1 and ext2 for veeam endpoint on the second (which make it hot while copying full bare metal without other problem)

Does it only get hot while you're writing to it or does it heat up when being read as well?

Last edited:
Can't really say. Never touch it before and after but it's the case when i formated and filled it on my laptop.

I use a Sandisk Ultra Fit 256gb inside a Hootoo travel router for media sharing. It gets pretty hot. But I've never noticed any performance problems and have left it in the device running for days at a time.

Thanks for the feedback on this drive. One of the drives I was considering purchasing as it's so readily available but hesitant because of the heat generated.

Do you have it plugged into a USB 3 port on your router? If so is it attached on a 'permanent' basis or just as needed basis?

Yup, it is plugged in to the USB3 port and is attached on a permanent basis. The router is running 24/7, haven't noticed any side effects by now.