What's new

Anyone compare the RT-AC68P to the R7000, which did you keep?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alkemyst

Occasional Visitor
I am seeing conflicting reviews on the 68P vs the R7000 and was looking for your opinions if you have tested them.

My Cisco C819HWD-A-K9 ISR Router somehow had it's WAN interface fried or it simply died. It's a enterprise-class device that was giving me 105+Mbps over wireless on my 105Mbps Comcast connection. We are a family of 6 with 5 users of laptops. phones, three XBox 360s and whichever of our friends or family comes over with a phone or laptop. A $30 special is not going to cut it for us :)

I have 1700 sq ft to cover and my rack is in my home office which is at the far end of that (55 x 24 rectangle with a 16 x 22 foot great room located on the back dead center of that). There are two concrete walls that I have to penetrate, one out of my home office and one into the great room. With my old Cisco I had decent coverage at the farthest end of the house. With the E4200 (v1) I had before that, it didn't quite get to the far end which is where the bedrooms are.

Even though I am a Network Engineer (Cisco CCNP R&S and CCNA Wireless and Voice), I have a simplistic network approach at home. I'd like to be able to stick to a single SSID if possible and have the clients determine 2.4GHz or 5GHz as needed like I can with the C819, but I can give that up. I pretty much just set up WPA2 with a long random key and do some port forwarding for security cameras and my alarm system. I use SSH to configure, but HTTPS is fine if needed. That's about it. No VPNs. I do want to add a home media drive so we can share movies and pictures and not have people access my PC directly as well as some backups.

Thanks
Å

I,have both the r7000 and rt-ac68p. They both cover my almost 1900 sq foot house on both bands.
I have separate ssid.

I,have both the r7000 and rt-ac68p. They both cover my almost 1900 sq foot house on both bands.
I have separate ssid.

Thanks, I now have a Cisco 2702i and Cisco 2702e on my desk and have them configured...I just need to find a router and I am good to go. I am getting 867 connect speeds on my ac adapter and 270-300 for the other n adapters in all of the house now :).

The problem I have now is Intel ProSet decided to not show up anymore on my last reboot.

I had the R7000 in the early days, but I took it back because I was having issues with it. I love my AC68. Now that being said, I'm sure the firmware is way better on the R7000 than it used to be. I'm super partial to the Merlin-WRT firmware, though. Merlin is very active in these forums, and the fact that there are so many Asus users means it's a lot easier to get solid community support.

An option I might recommend is getting two AC-68Ps. Then also get one of the powerline AV2 1200 sets. Use the second 68P on the other end of your house in access point mode. Have it extend your network, and you should be fine. That being said, maybe just buy one first and see how the coverage works out for you.

I'm in a 1700 sq ft single-story home right now. I just purchased the RT-AC68P a few days ago and it's been working great for me. I've got coverage over the entire house, including the garage where I have a wireless camera mounted.

I don't have personal experience with the R7000, but I was originally considering it. The reason I chose the ASUS was Merlin. He's very active on the forums and everyone speaks highly of his work. You can't go wrong with the ASUS.

I have been up and running on the two AP2702's now for a week and very happy. Signals of low to mid -30's in my office and -35-45 in my master bedroom at the opposite side of the house. I am using my Arris TG862G-CT which I will eventually replace as I don't like my ISP having access to my devices.

For the ProSet issue, even though I am an administrator on my Windows 8.1 machine, I had to explicitly run the program as an Administrator for the icon to show up.

Now obviously $1300 in hardware doesn't make sense for most people, but I have access to these due to my profession. There is a lot more that goes into the configuration of these devices than home units as well.

You can put Asuswrt on R7000
No, you can't ASUSWRT on Netgear R7000 or any of them.

I fully conquer with AC68 Router Performance, I have 3200+ and five story house and two of these can provide coverage to entire home, while one did for 2.4GHZ but for 5GHZ, I realized two would be needed.