What's new

anyone experinced with Draytek routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hopper

New Around Here
I am wanting to make sure my games console is not restricted by the firewall.

What steps do I need todo? I am a home user and looking through the router with firewall filtering seems rather confusing to me.

I have some understanding of port forwarding as I have done that before on tp link routers.

I have port forwarded already on draytek I used Bind ip to mac address, which I assume is LAN address reservation.

my games console IP address into the Ip object and then I used open ports and forwarded my ports using the ip object. I still feel that the firewall is having an effect on my games console, even though it is reporting it has Open NAT.

I want to make sure the firewall is not effecting my games ocnsole, so how do I pass it through the firewall? would that be object settings Ip object I need to use? Firewall Objects Setting >> IP Object

Last edited:
I am wanting to make sure my games console is not restricted by the firewall.

What steps do I need todo? I am a home user and looking through the router with firewall filtering seems rather confusing to me.

I have some understanding of port forwarding as I have done that before on tp link routers.

I have port forwarded already on draytek I used Bind ip to mac address, which I assume is LAN address reservation.

my games console IP address into the Ip object and then I used open ports and forwarded my ports using the ip object. I still feel that the firewall is having an effect on my games console, even though it is reporting it has Open NAT.

I want to make sure the firewall is not effecting my games ocnsole, so how do I pass it through the firewall? would that be object settings Ip object I need to use? Firewall Objects Setting >> IP Object

I don't have experience with that brand but if you've forwarded the necessary ports to the console, and the console is showing open NAT, you've done what you need to do. The firewall (assuming it is doing packet inspection) is still involved, unless you disable it completely but that's not really a great idea (and probably wouldn't change much, if anything).

What makes you think it is impacting your games? Your other option is to set the game console as the DMZ device in the router, which will forward ALL ports to it. Firewall (again assuming it is doing packet inspection) will still be involved, but maybe there is some port you've missed. DMZ is a security risk though, so it isn't the first choice. Maybe do it just to see if it makes a difference.

You also have the option of using uPNP, more secure than DMZ, but still a small risk.

In my eyes the Draytek is one of the worst routers ever, my family had one arround year 1997 (before 2000),
a purple vigor and they are always got port scanned, plus we had some viruses on a pc.
Maybe they have changed security in year 2000+ and have now better solutions.
at least our experience so far from the family.

In my eyes the Draytek is one of the worst routers ever, my family had one arround year 1997 (before 2000),
a purple vigor and they are always got port scanned, plus we had some viruses on a pc.
Maybe they have changed security in year 2000+ and have now better solutions.
at least our experience so far from the family.

It seems like a no-name brand but you have to assume that things have changed in 20 years. Many routers had far worse security back then, most relying solely on hide NAT with no DPI firewall at all.

Yes, mostly ISP grade and business. VPN, VoIP, VLAN, multi-WAN, LTE, xDSL, etc. Above consumer products.

Yes, mostly ISP grade and business. VPN, VoIP, VLAN, multi-WAN, LTE, xDSL, etc. Above consumer products.

Residential and Small Business Premises Equipment seems to be Draytek's primary line of business...

Gonig back to OP's question - if he's port forwarded the appropriate Ports and Client IP's, should be good to go, not going to get any better than this.

One thing that OP didn't mention - connection to the router from the gaming device (PC or Console) - Wired or Wireless - wired will usually be the best choice if possible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!