What's new

Anyone Tried VPN to Stream Xfinity X1 via Cell or any Internet Connection?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

consutlant

New Around Here
The new Xfinitiy X1 cable box lets you stream your DVR content to any device, AS LONG AS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO YOUR LAN. I've got an Asus RT-AC66U coming today and was going to try to setup the VPN so my smartphone can connect and appears as if it were a device on the LAN. Theoretically, it should work but I'm not exactly sure how Xfinity is determining if the device is on the LAN or not. My guess is that it just checks to see if my connection is Cell Data or WiFi and then it goes to an X1 server on the cloud that talks to my cable box. But it also has to distinguish uses someone's elses WiFi too.

Anyway, has anyone tried this and have tips on how to setup the AC66U for this purpose?

The new Xfinitiy X1 cable box lets you stream your DVR content to any device, AS LONG AS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO YOUR LAN. I've got an Asus RT-AC66U coming today and was going to try to setup the VPN so my smartphone can connect and appears as if it were a device on the LAN. Theoretically, it should work but I'
The new Xfinitiy X1 cable box lets you stream your DVR content to any device, AS LONG AS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO YOUR LAN. I've got an Asus RT-AC66U coming today and was going to try to setup the VPN so my smartphone can connect and appears as if it were a device on the LAN. Theoretically, it should work but I'm not exactly sure how Xfinity is determining if the device is on the LAN or not. My guess is that it just checks to see if my connection is Cell Data or WiFi and then it goes to an X1 server on the cloud that talks to my cable box. But it also has to distinguish uses someone's elses WiFi too.

Anyway, has anyone tried this and have tips on how to setup the AC66U for this purpose?

I've been running a Asus RT N56U for about 2 years now, that has a built in VPN server so I can watch things like Netflix and Hulu while overseas. It's been working great. Last month I just got a X1 system, and have been happily watching everything Comcast has to offer on any device anywhere I can get a wifi or cell signal...in other words, it works great! The VPN puts me right into my own home network, so it's just like sitting in your own home. I was using the PTPP protocol, but recently upped the security. Asus makes great products, and they're fairly easy to set up. I'm not a novice, but not a pro either, and had no trouble setting it up.