What's new

Anyway to release dhcp leases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tdub42

Regular Contributor
Hey guys I have modified my dhcp lease range so that I can setup a lab. But some of my older items are connecting outside the dhcp range. Is there an easy way to make them change without making them all static. I have tried unplugging devices (nest) and rebooting router as well. Even leaving disconnected (by unplugging) for over 2 hrs. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Under Windows try issuing "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew". If it still fails, then turn off the router, reboot the clients, then turn the router on last.

Under Windows try issuing "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew". If it still fails, then turn off the router, reboot the clients, then turn the router on last.

Sorry I didn't add this the info problem are internet devices mainly hue, nest, etc. Any PC/Server OS no problem.

The DHCP server (the router in this case) can't force the behaviour of the client device. The client will typically ask for the same IP address that it previously had. If you have configured the DHCP server correctly you should be able to see in the logs that it refuses that request and offers a different IP address within the new range. It is then up to the client to accept this offer.

If the client isn't behaving in this way (or it's not even asking for an IP address) then it's a problem with the client, not the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!