What's new

AP needed for extending network to small detached building.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SMW

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking for a router to cover a small "apartment" above my garage.

Currently I have two router in the main house.

• An Asus RT-N66U that is the main router connected to cable modem and running Merlin's. It is located down stairs in the rear of the home and provides coverage to the rear of the house.
  • An Asus RT-N56U upstairs in the front of the house running Padavan. This covers the front of the house. The 56U is connected via Netgear 1200 Powerline adapters.
The N66U maxes out my internet connection which is normally around 110-120 Mbps. The 56U gives me around 70-80 Mbps which I'm sure most of the slow down is from the powerline adapters.

The apartment is approximately 20 feet from the rear of the house and is above the garage. It is around 500 sq feet and an open floor plan. Its just outside the reach of the N66U so my plan is put another powerline adapter and a new router. Tests with the powerline gives me speeds around 60-80 Mbps.

So I need a basic router that can cover the apartment in both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. I'm planning on just using it as a AP with the same SSID as the house. So far the two APs in the house do a great job with roaming clients.

I was thinking something like Wifi Range Extender like the Netgear N300, TP-Link N300, or Asus RP-N12. All of these can be bought for less than $30 which is about what I want to spend.

Thoughts?

I did try the Neteargear Powerline PLW1010 with the built in wifi. The speeds were horrible compared to the PL1200. 2-3Mbps vs 60-80Mbps.

All you need is a AP as UniFi AC Lite/UniFi AC LR/UniFi AC Pro that would cover the apartment in both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz band.