What's new

AP with Guest Capability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hawkeye62

Occasional Visitor
I need a wireless AP with the capability to give a guest access to the Internet, but not to the rest of my SOHO LAN. I currently use an Asus EA-N66 AP for wireless access to my network, but I don't see any option for guest internet access.

Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Regards, Jim

The only AP's I know about that can give secure guest access without using VLANs are the Ubiquiti Unifi AP's. If you have the hardware to set up VLAN's then there are more choices.

Thanks for your reply. I have Ubiquiti Power APN and 3500. I don't see any option to isolate the wireless from the rest f the nework.

Regards, Jim

Look for AP's that can bind SSID's to VLAN's...

I know first hand that Airports can do this, and then you put policy constraints on the VLAN associated with the Guest SSID, but this is likely outside of the scope of your current Router...

Thanks for your reply. I have Ubiquiti Power APN and 3500. I don't see any option to isolate the wireless from the rest f the nework.

Regards, Jim

The Ubiquiti Unifi AP's have the guest isolation. I can not speak to other Ubiquiti AP's or wireless routers. Like sfx2000 stated, the best practice is to use VLAN's if your gear can do VAN's.

Well, I have an EdgeRouter X, does it have VLAN capability?

Thanks, Jim

Edit: OK, I guess the EdgeRouter X does have VPN capability. Now, if I can just understand how to set it up?

Jim

Last edited:
If you want to use VLAN's then all your equipment must support it. So the router (which you are good if you have the Edgerouter-X), any switches you hook the AP's to, and the AP's themselves.