What's new

Apartment Complex - single adapter (ECB2200) gets signal?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tokar

New Around Here
I was trying to setup a network in my apartment in my complex, but when I just plug in a single adapter I get a coax signal. I originally thought it was my own signal - I plugged in the first adapter, it didn't get a signal as I of course expected, then when I went to plug in the second adapter I got a signal. I figured it was my signal but the first adapter was not showing a coax signal. I unplugged the first adapter, and the second adapter maintained its coax signal. Very strange.

Just out of curiosity, what could I do with this connection? When I plug in my laptop directly to the ethernet port on this second adapter the computer does not see an internet connection.

Any sort of diagnostics I can do?

I was trying to setup a network in my apartment in my complex, but when I just plug in a single adapter I get a coax signal. I originally thought it was my own signal - I plugged in the first adapter, it didn't get a signal as I of course expected, then when I went to plug in the second adapter I got a signal. I figured it was my signal but the first adapter was not showing a coax signal. I unplugged the first adapter, and the second adapter maintained its coax signal. Very strange.

Just out of curiosity, what could I do with this connection? When I plug in my laptop directly to the ethernet port on this second adapter the computer does not see an internet connection.

Any sort of diagnostics I can do?

You need a MoCA POE filter in the feed into your apartment to isolate it from the other apartments in the complex. You also need to ensure all your splitters can pass the higher frequencies (5-2000Mhz typically).

One adapter plugs into your router. Your computer plugs into the other adapter.

You need a MoCA POE filter in the feed into your apartment to isolate it from the other apartments in the complex. You also need to ensure all your splitters can pass the higher frequencies (5-2000Mhz typically).

One adapter plugs into your router. Your computer plugs into the other adapter.

Yeah, Comcast put on an amplifier for a weak cable modem signal and that filters out the rest of the building, which is fine. I'm just curious what I can do to check what that signal is?

On another note, I did the same thing in my home apartment complex and again, the line picks up a coax signal. In this complex I don't require the outside coax line since I'm using FiOS, but there is a coax signal on the outside line. When I plug in, I am able to ping the address 192.168.1.2. What could be causing this signal?

Follow the cable and you will find your answer. Somewhere on the other end of the line another MoCA device exists that is obviously not secured.

Follow the cable and you will find your answer. Somewhere on the other end of the line another MoCA device exists that is obviously not secured.

Actually it is secured...

When I plug in my laptop directly to the ethernet port on this second adapter the computer does not see an internet connection.

MOCA, like HomePlug, is layer 2 - so the adapter may see other end-points - but at the same time, if they can't complete the authenticated handshake, it's just there...

Filters on the ingress help out a lot - just keep in mind that both MOCA and HomePlug security is very robust for the moment...