What's new

Are settings portable between different router models?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Colonial

New Around Here
Hi, all

I've searched for a similar thread but couldn't find this question, so here goes...

My current Asus RT-N66U has started to behave erratically over the past few months and requires more and more frequent reboots to keep it operating and it has reached the stage where I've decided to replace it. I have decided to go for a slightly different model this time around - the RT-AC66U.

So, my question is: am I able to back up the settings from the N66 and after installing the same firmware (I'm currently running the latest Merlin build) to the AC66 , restore the settings to that model?

I have a load of manual rules to enable port forwarding to my NAS properly and parental controls in force for the kids' wireless devices, etc. so being able to do this would save me quite a bit of time.

Thanks in advance

Colonial

No, you cannot do that and expect a glitch-free experience.

You may want to use john9527's NVRAM Save/Restore Utility to get a human readable copy of all your settings.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r24.19521/

You can then copy and paste to the appropriate section of your new router and you'll have a backup of those settings too.

After buying the RT-AC66U (the RT-AC68U is recommended over the model you've chosen), flash the firmware you want on it and make sure to reset the router to factory defaults and manually configure it to secure it and connect to your ISP.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

At this stage you can create a backup config file from the gui (as well as with john9527's NVRAM Save/Restore Utility for the new router) and put those in a safe place.

Thanks for the response - I'd guessed that would be the case but thought it worth a try. In the past when firmware updates have dictated a configuration reset I'd resorted to pen and paper or printed screenshots so I'll certainly have a look at the utility you've recommended.

I had been going to buy another RT-N66U (the one I have has been perfectly adequate for my needs until now) but a local shop currently has the AC66 version heavily discounted so I've gone ahead and bought one. I had considered the RT-AC68U but decided that the additional features/performance weren't worth the additional cost (for me).

My plan is to try the N66 in access point mode slaved off the new router to see if it's any more stable in this configuration.

Thanks again for your input.

C.

Thanks for the response - I'd guessed that would be the case but thought it worth a try. In the past when firmware updates have dictated a configuration reset I'd resorted to pen and paper or printed screenshots so I'll certainly have a look at the utility you've recommended.

I had been going to buy another RT-N66U (the one I have has been perfectly adequate for my needs until now) but a local shop currently has the AC66 version heavily discounted so I've gone ahead and bought one. I had considered the RT-AC68U but decided that the additional features/performance weren't worth the additional cost (for me).

My plan is to try the N66 in access point mode slaved off the new router to see if it's any more stable in this configuration.

Thanks again for your input.

C.

You must have quite complex configuration. For me, being a simple home user, can configure a router in a few minutes, LOL!

I wouldn't describe it as particularly complex but there are a few customisations such as port-forwarding, manually allocated IP addresses, parental controls, to redo each time I have to factory reset.
Typically I have around 20 devices connected at once (PCs, phones, tablets, Blu-ray players, Sonos, etc.) and I like to give things a fixed IP address where I can.
Everything is setup and working properly now and the old unit seems to be coping OK in its semi-retirement as an access point (and improving coverage upstairs as a bonus).

C.