What's new

Are Three Drives the Charm? Thecus N3200 Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

weh

Occasional Visitor
[Article link]
The new Thecus 3-drive NAS sounds like a cost-effective alternative for someone who doesn't need its big brother's extra 2 drives.

However, although YOU (Tim Higgins) didn't review it, there HAS been another 5-drive NAS reviewed (by Craig Ellison) on SNB besides the Thecus N5200 original & Pro versions: the Synology DS508 -- and only a few short months ago, too.

3 drives + RAID?

This looks like a good setup for what I'm looking for (a one-source media storage vault). I didn't notice what the total drive size limitation was. What would be the individual and total drive limits?

RAID-1/Backup combination

Dear Tim,

what do you think about using the N3200 as RAID1 with 2 disks permanently plugged in and periodically plug and shut away the 3rd one for backup purpose?

Your oppinion is highly appreciated, thanks

I hadn't thought of that. I don't remember whether it allows the third drive to be used as an individual volume with two drives in RAID 1.

Should work

I hadn't thought of that. I don't remember whether it allows the third drive to be used as an individual volume with two drives in RAID 1.

According to a statment from http://www.thecus.info above mentioned RAID1/Backup combination works. When the 3rd disk is configured as 'hotspare' the controller works that way ...

I'll check this and post the result ...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!