What's new

Arris Releases First DOCSIS 3.1 Modem In Surfboard Lineup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
arris-sb8200.jpg

The SB8200 SURFboard cable modem is Arris’ first DOCSIS 3.1 product designed to keep up with cable providers pushing the latest DOCSIS standard to customers who are using more online content and services than before. The SB8200 is currently approved for use by Cox and Comcast, while Charter and other providers are still pending.

The SB8200’s channel configuration is 32 down and 8 up. LAN connectivity-wise, the SB8200 also includes two GbE ports that can push 2 GbE in combined output, or be used separately for other dedicated devices other than a router.

Available for $199.99, the Arris SB8200 SURFboard can be purchased at Amazon.com now, and at other vendors shortly.

Out of stock =( Wonder if this is better than the Netgear CM1000 that is out, and about $30 cheaper.

Last edited:
SB8200 and the CM1000 use the same chipset.

Some of the differences are the 8200 has 2 gige ports while the cm1000 has only one.

The CM1000 has reset and reboot buttons in the UI while the 8200 has none.

The only ways to reboot or reset the 8200 is with a button located on the back of the unit or by pulling the power cord out of the wall.

You can also order the 8200 from Arris directly.

http://shop.surfboard.com/sb8200-surfboard-cable-modem/

@KevTech - It's no direct substitute, but an IP-enabled power switch can be a great workaround, also usable for off-site/out-of-band reboots if the modem (and thus the primary WAN) go unreachable. It does add cost, but something worth thinking about for those needing the functionality and who still may prefer the 8200 or other model lacking software reboot for whatever reason.

Last edited:
I just recently got the sb6190 for a comcast 150/25 connection. When comparing the specs between the 6190 and 8200 on Arris web site, there's no real difference in channels--just that 2nd gig port, which is useless for most since most isps only give one ip address.

Have the Arris SB8200. Nice modem and smaller than the Netgear CM1000.
Been working nicely so far (17 days so far without a single reboot - bought mine from Arris store - first few owner in the country, weeks before Amazon got it, in case anyone is doing the math on my uptime).

Seeing some uncorrected errors on 2 downstream channels but that is likely a line issue.
Need to contact my ISP again.

Have the Arris SB8200. Nice modem and smaller than the Netgear CM1000.
Been working nicely so far (17 days so far without a single reboot - bought mine from Arris store - first few owner in the country, weeks before Amazon got it, in case anyone is doing the math on my uptime).

Seeing some uncorrected errors on 2 downstream channels but that is likely a line issue.
Need to contact my ISP again.
So what are you able to do with that second gigabit port?

Hmm - does anyone know if it works on TimeWarner aka Spectrum ?
We have several accounts from spectrum (not twc converted accounts), and they still do not allow owned modems. But they also don't break out a separate charge for their modem, so I don't see the current benefit of owning your own equipment.

Well here in NYC my bill has just changed from TWC to Charter *and* they are now charging another $5 for wifi use on top of the $10 for modem rental.

I had to let them go that way last month as for some reason ( coincidence? ) their modem which was set to bridge to my old Sonicawall firewall/ wifi unit wouldn't work anymore, and I had no time to mess with it then.

Well here in NYC my bill has just changed from TWC to Charter *and* they are now charging another $5 for wifi use on top of the $10 for modem rental.

I had to let them go that way last month as for some reason ( coincidence? ) their modem which was set to bridge to my old Sonicawall firewall/ wifi unit wouldn't work anymore, and I had no time to mess with it then.
We've always been with Charter, and they've always had the $5 wifi charge to activate on their equipment. I've never used anything but their plain modems without wifi, and our bills don't show a rental fee.

We've always been with Charter, and they've always had the $5 wifi charge to activate on their equipment. I've never used anything but their plain modems without wifi, and our bills don't show a rental fee.

Well, the story is this in NYC : if you are (were) on Time Warner, they (Charter) will keep you at your present rates (although for how much longer is not really known for sure). So if you were on a plan that included a $10 monthly modem rental fee, you could be at the grandfathered $35/month rate for internet only (30+GB). In my case, on Mar 30 I opted to get my own modem and wifi (saving $10 off the TWC bill), and it went alright *for a couple hours. At some point during that day they (Charter/TWC) then decided to cut off my TWC service, and put me on a Charter plan, which was higher and did not provide any discount for owning your own modem - at least they are NOT charging me an installation fee for their "new" service. I am exploring legal remedies, and alternative internet proivder services.

The take away from this is: IF you are on a TWC plan, do NOT change anything else they will force you out of it and lamely say that their Charter plans are the only ones available in the system.

Incidentally, I also recommend NOT paying for all these hundreds of TV channels you really never use - instead pay for the streaming services you really watch (netflix, Hulu, etc). See for example the "Cut the Cord, but Keep the Films?" 3/2017 NY Times article www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/movies/streaming-packages-cord-cutting.html

Well, the story is this in NYC : if you are (were) on Time Warner, they (Charter) will keep you at your present rates (although for how much longer is not really known for sure). So if you were on a plan that included a $10 monthly modem rental fee, you could be at the grandfathered $35/month rate for internet only (30+GB). In my case, on Mar 30 I opted to get my own modem and wifi (saving $10 off the TWC bill), and it went alright *for a couple hours. At some point during that day they (Charter/TWC) then decided to cut off my TWC service, and put me on a Charter plan, which was higher and did not provide any discount for owning your own modem - at least they are NOT charging me an installation fee for their "new" service. I am exploring legal remedies, and alternative internet proivder services.

The take away from this is: IF you are on a TWC plan, do NOT change anything else they will force you out of it and lamely say that their Charter plans are the only ones available in the system.

Incidentally, I also recommend NOT paying for all these hundreds of TV channels you really never use - instead pay for the streaming services you really watch (netflix, Hulu, etc). See for example the "Cut the Cord, but Keep the Films?" 3/2017 NY Times article www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/movies/streaming-packages-cord-cutting.html
Yeah, this seems to be the standard policy in takeovers no matter where you are--from banks, to isps, to wireless carriers, I've seen the 'oh you can't have your grandfathered plan back' method used time and time again.

I think if you have options for an other isp, that's probably your only remedy. Charter has become very hardnosed with some really unfair policies they set up in the last few years. We had one site that was with them from 1988 and never had as many problems with them in 20 years as we did in the last few. We sold the site, but the new owners are with charter as well.