What's new

As of now, is EXT3 or EXT4 better for USB sharing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommyv2

Regular Contributor
I've searched a lot of posts but they're mostly old so I was hoping to get an answer. As of today, with latest and greatest Merlin, what's the best file system for sharing? I currently have EXT4 setup from years ago, but I have an opportunity to format it and start over.

Thanks in advance!

I've searched a lot of posts but they're mostly old so I was hoping to get an answer. As of today, with latest and greatest Merlin, what's the best file system for sharing? I currently have EXT4 setup from years ago, but I have an opportunity to format it and start over.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure about technical aspect but I'm using EXT4 with Journaling turned ON. Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance!
Personally I think using an actual SSD in an external case, e.g. the UGREEN USB 3.0 enclosure, is far more important than what filesystem you use, if you're using it for filesharing. Using a thumb drive, you're more likely to lose data from the thumb drive going bad than from traditional data corruption due to power outages, etc. That said, once you are using an SSD, there's no reason not to go to EXT4 since the performance hit is so tiny.

But to answer your direct question, it's a matter of personal preference. I use EXT4 even on the thumb drive in my spare/testing router (AC3200).

I just redid all my script installs and went from USB to SSD also and choose EXT4 so that is my vote also.

I've always used ext4, at least since maybe 2015. Before that I'd use it if supported, ext3 if not and NTFS if for some reason no ext* at all was supported

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!