What's new

Asus RT-AC68P will changing Modes change IP address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ronb55

Occasional Visitor
Will changing the mode of my Asus from wireless router to AP change the IP address? To log in the Asus right now it is 192.168.2.1. I don't want to have to put in recovery mode and go through all that again. The asus is setup as wireless router but soon as I get the firmware update (forced) from ATT my setup will no longer work. The update breaks DMZ setup with the Asus. Last time I change modes on the asus it defaulted back to 192.168.1.1 and my Gateway is 192.168.1.254. It turned out to be a big pain and ended up after many many attempts to get in recovery mode I finally got it running and made the IP change back to 192.168.2.1 but firmware will break it soon as it downloads..Or I can just use the Asus RT-AC68P as AP and forget it

Last edited:
There is no predefined IP in AP mode, it will take one from main router DHCP. You have to search on your main router which IP your AP got.

Or if you know the APs MAC address you can on the router assign it a static IP.

It would be nice to include in the thread name what the discussion is about.
"Asus 68P" doesn't say anything, it's not even a correct ASUS router model.

RT-AC68P
Will changing the Mode also change the IP Address?
Okay

I don't want to have to put in recovery mode and go through all that again

You don't need to put the router in Recovery Mode for anything IP address change related.

1. In Router Mode IP address change is done with few clicks only (LAN -> LAN IP) and all you need to access the WebGUI after the change is to remember the new IP address.

2. In Access Point Mode the IP address is assigned by DHCP server running on the Main Router. You can find what the IP address is on the Main Router (Network Map -> View List) or using ASUS Device Discovery Utility. You can fix that IP address either on the Main Router (LAN -> DHCP Server -> Enable Manual Assignment) or on the Access Point itself (LAN -> Get LAN IP Automatically? -> No).

You can edit the thread name.
This way someone else may have better chances to find an answer to similar to your questions.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!