What's new

ASUS AC 68U - Connecting as wireless only; no modem present, possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wildbill999

New Around Here
Last night my Clear internet service folded up so I need to configure my ASUS AC 68U to use without a “modem.” The setup instructions talk about connecting the Ethernet Cable from the modem to the main internet port on the router. Then a 2nd line to the PC. But I no longer have a modem.

I tried using one of the 4 Ethernet ports then into the PC and was able to get the router's config screen working. I clicked the wireless settings page
and set it to a LAN link I can use but still see no connection going on.

Should I plug in that Ethernet cable into the main ethernet port, with the globe on it?

Is it even possible to use this style router in wireless mode only?

So far I cannot see any on the surrounding wireless hotspots as there is another one I have access to.

Can I tether it via USB to my Virgin Mobile android phone? I read a post about that but no one responded to it so I do not know if that is possible.

I am using another PC 2 floors below the other PC that needs the internet access and will go back up there and see if I can get it working.

Just wanted to get a post going here in case someone can help me.

Thanks,

Bill
* using windows 10

Puppa:

Hi. I do not really want to tether off of my Virgin account but I want to link to the wireless system in our house.
That can be either local (one to one via Wi-Fi) or WAN as needed.

On a side note I could just drag the PC box down here where the Ethernet cable is and use that to get me online and find that wireless name I need and test from there. But when I tried that a month ago it said I was "connected" but had no internet service. How can that be?

Thanks,
Bill

It is possible to have a local LAN connection without an active WAN connection. Don't plug anything into the WAN port (the one with the globe on it). If you want to use your AC68U to connect to an outside Wifi network, you could do so via media bridge or extender mode, but beware: the firewall won't work in these modes and your entire network would be exposed on the network you connect to, which is probably not what you want.

If you want your network firewalled, you'll have to use a separate router to connect to the network in media bridge mode, the other to provide the firewall in "normal" mode. You would plug your ethernet WAN port on the current AC68U to one of the internal ports 1-4 on the new AC68U. Nothing would be plugged into the WAN port on the new router.

You should be aware that if you are connecting to some public hotspot for this, your entire network's traffic outside would be visible to any hacker connected to (or providing) that hotspot.

Puppa:

WOW! Buy another high end router???
So that is why when I saw the other hotspots around me it said I was connected to our tenant's router
but also said I could not access the internet?

Note that these are my friends in our house and I know the couple on the second floor
only have one router in use and they can connect to the primary host. Maybe they are not using a firewall?

There are no public hotspots around here.

My thought is that Charter is seeing my MAC address and saying "Hey, block that guy, he's not paying..."
However I am hooked up with a ethernet cable and no signs of any conflicts.

Otherwise this is so very confusing.

Thanks for your advice,

Bill