What's new

Release Asus AC86U New Firmware - 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I updated this morning as I run an AC-86U as an AiMesh node - Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_40451-g30f1b6c.

So far I've noticed no issues, but can't comment on whether or not there would be issues if you run the 86U as your primary router. The firmware will probably be available on the 86U support page with release notes within the next couple of days.

Wait. .386 is already stable on AC86U? isn't 386 supposed to be a beta ? The ones with the new speedtest page and 802.11 v and r support? .

I'm running the beta and we just got RC7 today!!!! What is going on?

I'm running the beta and we just got RC7 today!!!! What is going on?
I don't know

I believe the 86U has been on the .386 release for several months now.
I don't think so. I just opened Asus support page for AC86U and it only shows the latest as 384. That's why I'm sure this is the new rebased 386 instead of our usual 384. . Which is confusing..

Edit : is it just revision differences? But it's weird how Asus page shows 384 and this is 386 tho

Version 3.0.0.4.386.40451
2020/10/2260.01 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40451
New features

1. AiMesh 2.0
- System optimization: one click in AiMesh to optimize the topology
- System Ethernet backhaul mode, all nodes will only connect by ethernet, all bands will be released for wireless clients.
- System factory default and reboot.
- Client device reconnect, make the device to offline and online again.
- Client device binding to specific AP.
- Guest WiFi on all Mesh nodes (all node need to upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386 firmware)
- Access nodes USB application.

Connection priority and Ethernet backhaul mode introduction

How to setup ASUS AiMesh or ZenWiFi Mesh Ethernet backhaul under different conditions

2. New Family interface in ASUS router App.
ASUS Router App for iOS must greater or equal to iOS v1.0.0.5.75
Android version greater or equal to v1.0.0.5.74

3. The unit of the WiFi time scheduler goes to 1 minute.

4. Support IPSec IKE v1 and IKE v2, and you can use the Windows 10 native VPN client program to connect to the router's IPSec VPN server. The Windows 10 new FAQ is in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033576

5. 2.4 and 5G on the network map could be configured in the same tab.

6. Captcha for login can be disabled in administration -> system.

7. Printer server port can be disabled on the USB app page.

8. Clients which connect to the guest network can be viewed in the network map -->view list --> interface

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: a707219b5944bc0b55098a4c7fe781f5

And no, the 86u has not been on the .386 for awhile. The last update in August was:
Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072
2020/08/1756.18 MBytes

I don't think so. I just opened Asus support page for AC86U and it only shows the latest as 384. That's why I'm sure this is the new rebased 386 instead of our usual 384. . Which is confusing

Never mind, you're right on - confusion on my end as well. Maybe ASUS typo'ed the release version somehow? Previous version was Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072, which is still the release listed on the ASUS support page for the 86U.

Based on the release notes in ATLga's post, looks like we could be seeing .386 on many more mesh-capable ASUS wireless routers soon...

Last edited:
Version 3.0.0.4.386.40451
2020/10/2260.01 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40451
New features

1. AiMesh 2.0
- System optimization: one click in AiMesh to optimize the topology
- System Ethernet backhaul mode, all nodes will only connect by ethernet, all bands will be released for wireless clients.
- System factory default and reboot.
- Client device reconnect, make the device to offline and online again.
- Client device binding to specific AP.
- Guest WiFi on all Mesh nodes (all node need to upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386 firmware)
- Access nodes USB application.

Connection priority and Ethernet backhaul mode introduction

How to setup ASUS AiMesh or ZenWiFi Mesh Ethernet backhaul under different conditions

2. New Family interface in ASUS router App.
ASUS Router App for iOS must greater or equal to iOS v1.0.0.5.75
Android version greater or equal to v1.0.0.5.74

3. The unit of the WiFi time scheduler goes to 1 minute.

4. Support IPSec IKE v1 and IKE v2, and you can use the Windows 10 native VPN client program to connect to the router's IPSec VPN server. The Windows 10 new FAQ is in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1033576

5. 2.4 and 5G on the network map could be configured in the same tab.

6. Captcha for login can be disabled in administration -> system.

7. Printer server port can be disabled on the USB app page.

8. Clients which connect to the guest network can be viewed in the network map -->view list --> interface

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: a707219b5944bc0b55098a4c7fe781f5

And no, the 86u has not been on the .386 for awhile. The last update in August was:
Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072
2020/08/1756.18 MBytes
Wow it is the new update. But without 802.11 v and r?? Is it 386 but with less features since it's still buggy or is it the real deal like full release? Since I know it's still in beta .

Never mind, you're right on - confusion on my end as well. Maybe ASUS typo'ed the release version somehow? Previous version was Version 3.0.0.4.384.82072, which is still the release listed on the ASUS support page for the 86U.

Based on the release notes above, looks like we could be seeing .386 on many more mesh-capable ASUS wireless routers soon...
Check up my post. There is a changelog. Seems like it's the new 386 since aimesh 2.0

It doesn't seem to be the full release tho. Since the changelog doesn't show the whole features available in the beta afaik

Isn't Client device binding to specific AP from the latest beta? I think this firmware has all the features from the latest beta.

Isn't Client device binding to specific AP from the latest beta? I think this firmware has all the features from the latest beta.
I don't know. Didn't use the beta haha. Although I do know that from the beginning of the beta, it should've included the new 802.11 v and r or something like that for the new aimesh and smart connect. The changelog above doesn't mention it tho so idk.

just did a clean install, this feels like mix between the RC6 beta and the RC7. it's been up for three hours now with guest network on synced to router and node, adabtive QoS, Aiportection and smart connect enabled. so far so good.

If I want to setup the router VPN server for remote access by Win10 and/or Android, which VPN server should I choose... PPTP, OpenVPN, or IPSec VPN?

OE

Went back to .384 (my lan devices were disappearing from the app on and off constantly and had a couple of drops even after factory reset. Will wait for next release on .386

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!