What's new

Asus AC86U : Zero Upload Throughput on 5GHz Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sambosoul

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have noticed a strange behavior of my Asus AC86U when being connected with my client devices on the 5GHz wireless network. I am currently running on Merlin 384.6 and whenever I am connected to the 5GHz wireless network my upload throughput is 0.00 when performing a speed check on speedtest.net

However, when being connected to the 2.4GHz wireless network then the upload throughput matches the ISP upload bandwidth of 20MBit.

This situation occurs on the latest Merlin firmware as well as the Asus stock firmware. I have gone through router restarts and firmware upload cycles multiple times, even changed the SSID names and passwords but nothing has helped so far.

Strangely enough the download throughput works in all scenarios.

Any advise is appreciated.

With Regards,
SamboSoul.

Have you done a factory reset with initialize?
Power off and on again while pressing WPS and 15s longer.
Try last 384.7alpha from August.

Make manually only all minimal settings!
Use easy 8 digit SSID and passwords only characters and digits.
Set 5G channel fixed to ch. 36.

If it doesnt help return with bad hardware.

Very interesting...

I did a factory reset on 384.6 and noticed when changing the "wireless mode" to "legacy" on the 5Ghz wireless things improve... when doing a speedtest, the download drops to approx. 25Mbit but the upload improves to 20Mbit. I have a 50/20 ISP line at home.

I am really baffled.. when being connected to 5GHz, the upload on speedtest.net fails with the following message:

Bildschirmfoto 2018-08-17 um 19.39.55.png

However, choosing the same speedtest.net server when being connected to the 2.4Ghz wireless networks works just fine. I also upgraded to 384.7 Alpha but nothing has changed.

I also noticed that the AsusMerlin GUI is noticeably slower when being connected to 5GHz. Again, on 2.4GHz it works perfectly fine.

Could a hardware failure be the culprit here? Would not the entire 5Ghz module fail?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!