What's new

ASUS AC87U Firmware enigma.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chi09es

New Around Here
Asus AC87U firmware enigma.

I use my Router as VPN client for my Samsung Smart TV. The purpose is to be able to access region-restricted websites, such as Netflix.

The Asus AC87U worked very well for this purpose, but after updating to a new firmware videos are not loading anymore, if connected to VPN.

The same applies to YouTube. The main page loads fine but no video can be played. The message appears that a problem has occurred and I should try at a later moment.

The last firmware that works is Version 3.0.0.4.378.5134

The next release Version 3.0.0.4.378.9177 doesn't work.

The change log is:

Security Fixes

- Updated TrendMicro security engine.

- Updated OpenSSL library to 1.0.2d

- Fixed CVE-2015-6949 buffer overflow issue, special thanks for Elvis Collado at DVLabs.

- Fixed Host and User-Agent parameter buffer overflows, special thanks for Elvis Collado at Praetorian

- Fixed Web server URL handler buffer overflow, special thanks for Tim Yeh and Kenney Lu at TrendMicro.

- Enhanced router login password and wireless password (WPA2) strength check method to against brute-force attack.

- Reject administrator to set too easy to guess login and wireless password to avoid brute-force attack.

New Features

- RT-AC87U now supports Traffic analyzer.

- Bandwidth Limiter in Adaptive QoS --> QoS. Let administrator easily limit specific client's upload/ download bandwidth

- Independent mac filter for main wireless network and guest network. Administrator can set white list for main wireless network to only allow trust client connect to main wireless network and share network to guest with guest network

- Modified the network map client status. When chick the client icon, administrator can bind IP, change host name, change icon, block internet access or set time scheduling.

- Added client list view button on network map and help administrator easily monitor all client connection status.

- Time scheduling, Web & App filter, Wireless MAC filter client drop down menu can show offline devices.

- Web history and traffic analyzer can show device name.

- [AiCloud] Show image EXIF info on image player

- [AiCloud] Auto rotate image on image player.

- [AiCloud] Files can be moved and copied.

- [AiCloud] Images can be uploaded to Picasa or Twitter.

- [AiCloud] Share link can be posted on Twitter, Plurk, weibo and QQ in AiCloud.

- [AiCloud] AiCloud can be used in AP/ media bridge mode.

- Added 3G/4G USB modem APN auto detection feature. In most cases, firmware can automatically find the ISP profile and establish link when 3G/4G dongle inserted to router.

- Added Android phone in USB modem/ USB Tethering --> Select USB device.

Modifications

- Updated the 5G chipset driver to stabilize 5GHz connection.

- Added Meo and Movistar ISP profile.

- Adjusted Guest network mac filter maximum client number to 16

- Allow paste password on login page to fulfil some password management software’s requirement.

- Show current control channel while value is auto.

- Bandwidth limiter can accept decimal point.

- Unnecessary to reboot router after set allow only specified IP address to enter GUI.

- Adaptive QoS can now be enabled without assigned upload/ download bandwidth.

- Adjusted Adaptive QoS UI and easier to set top priority for gaming, media streaming or web surfing.

- Changed warning page style.

- Changed Cloud sync Dropbox URL encoding from UTF8 to BASE64.

Fixes

- Fixed setup wizard IE11 compatibility issue.

- Fixed Adaptive QoS game mode GUI issue.

- Fixed Traffic Analyzer GUI issue.

- Fixed OpenVPN connection status display error.

Any suggestions on what causes this problem?

At least for Netflix, it's probably not the router but Netflix. Netflix has started blocking all access through VPNs to prevent what you are doing. If you do a google search you can find a lot of references.

Thanks for thinking with me! No, it is not the geo blocking of Netflix. The problem occurs only with firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.9177 and later. Via cable and Wi-Fi. Older versions work fine. Also the problem is related to the combination of the AC87U and my Samsung Smart TV. I can connect to the web site. See all the available videos with picture and text, but if I click them I first see "Loading" and after 20 seconds the message "Some problem occurred, try again later." Must be some feature in the Asus firmware that the Samsung doesn't like. I just have no idea what it could be.

Samsung Smart TVs are broken. They try to use "localhost" as their hostname which is not valid. Try configuring a static IP on your TV to work around the issue.

No, that doesn't help. The problem is not that I cannot connect to the TV or that the TV doesn't connect to youtube. Everything works fine, I see all thumb nails on the screen, but when I click them, the video doesn't load. With firmware 3.0.0.4.378.5134 no problem. Same with AsusWRT- Merlin. Version RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378.50_0 works fine, later don't work. Strange!

If you enabled any of the AiProtection security features, try disabling them. Something the TV does might be triggering it, blocking part of their functionality.

Thanks for thinking with me!

AiProtection is disabled, QoS disabled, everything disabled that can create problems. I have two other routers, an Asus DSL-N55U working in E-Wan mode and a LinkSys WRT-150N with DD-WRT and working with OpenVPN. Both don't have this problem! I just don't understand where the problem is.

Have flashed the router with Asuswrt-Merlin version: 380.59 Beta 2. Have configured OpenVPN to connect only the VPN to the Samsung. So far working great.