What's new

Asus AI cloud IPhone app uploads?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

repeater

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

Just bought an 86U. I did a basic setup. I enabled the usb Applications like AIcloud. I was hoping that I could set my Iphone to auto send my pictures to the connected HDD? Seems Asus's app doesn't really do much of anything.

I originally bought the Synology AC2600, but could never get the cloud station to work. It was really disappointing. I don't need the VPN stuff on the 86u. I was looking for a poor mans NAS and Time machine.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Is there an app that will do what I want? Like how Amazon cloud uploads from my phone when connected to WiFi.

I was hoping that I could set my Iphone to auto send my pictures to the connected HDD?
Photos app only automatically sends photos to iCloud. Don’t know why you wouldn’t want to use that.

I use iCloud for all my photos and I can export photos to Google Drive, Dropbox, and the files app. I would expect that you could set up USB hard drive connected to ASUS so that it appears in files app. iOS has automation scripting now so that you could write a script to get the automated upload you desire.

I have cloud storage with amazon. I would like a local copy.

I’ll look into the scripting thing, but an app would just be easy. Seems the Asus app is still an after thought that really has never worked well.

Thanks,

D

I would like a local copy.
Okay, let me ask you this:
  • Local copy for just your use on your iPhone?
  • Is your iPhone the only Apple device?
  • Do you require access only on your home network?
  • You mentioned that you needed Mac Time Machine functionality. Is that another requirement?

I'd consider a feature like that to be a little above the poor man status. Most cheap dedicated NAS devices will have cloud sync and remote access apps but the mobile device photo sync stuff I've only really seen with Drobo. The DroboPix app does exactly what you're asking but Drobo isn't cheap!

A 3rd party method sounds like the way to go. Even a three way sync has it's place sometimes (phone->google drive->nas) but is dependent on other connected hosts performing the sync to NAS.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

The Asus does Time Machine.
I'd like the pictures to upload when I get home.

Everything I wanted the Synology does, but could't get to work. They both provide the same wifi speed and coverage. I know the Asus has more power, but the software and apps seem pretty slick. I have both on my desk. One is going back. Synology is going to try to remote in.

I got the Synology working, but I have to manually select each photo. They don’t offer the DSphoto for the router that does what I want. Guess I’ll return the synology keep the asus and figure something out.

Bought the app. It works for manual uploads, but I have not been able to get it to upload automatically. Also it concerns me that it wants access to m location all the time. I limit this to all my apps. I generally keep butt few apps as possible with the privilege. IT should just be when it is on wifi and when it senses the share.

I emailed the company. they are based in Germany.

Repeater,

I came up with a good solution for my needs. I now have my phone set as a network drive, giving a stable constant ~150MB/s link between it and my main computer. I'm running android and PC, but even if you need to test a few apps meant to give web file access I'd be surprised if it didn't work for you as well

On Android it works with several file explorer/transfer apps, but it's all on how they're set up so the one I'm sure on is FX File Explorer. Wifi on, set up an admin password in FX's 'Web Connect' settings, you'll get a 'web address' similar to http://192.168.1.8:2112.

Just ignore the web browser part, and since you should already have Samba active on your computer map a network drive to \\192.168.1.8@2112\DavWWWRoot

Mapped drive has shown full internal, SD card, and USB drive storage for everything I've set up so far. I just sort of like combining things for no real purpose, so I've been working on turning them into a virtual RAID network. More practically it combines really well with a device you need to do a lot of transfers on. I take a ton of pictures and then need to edit a ton of pictures and thought it'd be nice to not need to worry about the USB cable or backups, so my main PC has a simple xcopy .bat set to run with Windows Task Scheduler that checks the \DCIM\Camera folder on that phone's mapped drive every 5 minutes and copies anything new to both my PC pre-edit folder and a backup drive connected to the router. With the RT-AC66U-B1 that constant wifi link between phone and pc can transfer at around 150MB/s"

If you use a mac and don't have a real computer then there are a lot of different programs to handle the second part, one I know has a mac version is FreeFileSync. Since it's all networked together I decided I didn't care if the command came from the phone or from the computer or from the toaster as long as the files went where I wanted them to. I'm sure there's a way to script it for Apply instead of using different software, but the last Apple I played with only displayed in a green font so I'm a little outdated.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!