What's new

Asus AX86U LAN port poor speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ngsaints29

New Around Here
Hi I recently bought an Asus AX86U router from Amazon and have it connected to my xfinity XB7 modem in bridge mode. I have xfinity gigabit internet and have the modem connected to the Wan port and it says that the status is 1Gbps which is good but then when I have my Xbox connected to the LAN port 1 it says 100mbps which is no where near gigabit. The router is on firmware 3.0.0.4.386.1_2 which is Merlin firmware. Not sure if this is a known issue or if my router is faulty. Contacted xfinity and they said I’m getting 100% of that gigabit connection to my modem so it has to be a problem with the router. Had QOS on but people told me to take it off so I did but didn’t see a difference. I have 2 Xbox’s one connected to Ethernet and one connected to 5ghz band and I’m getting the same latency on both also around 40-50 when Ethernet should be better overall. Need help ASAP :)

0C369ED2-2C2D-49C8-B677-7A32EE5259C7.jpeg

I do not see anything connected to LAN 1.
If only getting 100 Mbps it may be the cable.
Make sure cable is at least cat5e.

I do not see anything connected to LAN 1.
If only getting 100 Mbps it may be the cable.
Make sure cable is at least cat5e.
It definitely is more then that because before I got the modem I was getting like 700mbps with this cable but since I got the router it’s saying 100mbps. I changed the WAN port to see if that would help to 2.5 because xfinity says I’m getting up to 1200mbps internet so I was thinking maybe that’s it but it’s still showing 100mbps. I just took the picture of it.
D493FF4D-A408-4D2B-9998-61003A0990D1.jpeg

I think that is problem with XBOX itself.

nah can’t be because I just powered off the router and put the xb7 out of bridge mode and turned it into a router/modem combo again and plugged the Ethernet back into the modem and tested the speeds again and got 800-900mbps download so it’s definitely not the Xbox

It may be the xbox only has a 100Mbps ethernet port.
According to Wikipedia the port is only 10/100BASE-TX.
My TV has a 10/100BASE-TX Ethernet port and wireless AC.
On the ethernet port I only get 100Mbps but on the wireless I link at 866Mbps so I just use the wireless.

That’s not right because I just checked their website for the Xbox Series X and it says the Ethernet can do 10mbps 100mbps or 1000mbps. And when connecting the Xbox to the actual Xfinity modem it gives me download speeds of 800-900 so it’s definitely not the Xbox

4BACB0A0-812F-452F-A6D6-CCCFD11D898E.jpeg

There is a Series X and a One X.
I believe it is the One X that has only 100Mbps port.

Nope I have the One X also and I get the same 800-900 speeds. I’m having a replacement unit sent out to see maybe it was just the ports in that specific router

Normally it is the connecting device that shares it's capabilities then the other device sets the highest speed from what the device told it.
So in this case Xbox tells router it supports up to 100Mbps then router says OK I will set 100Mbps since that is the fastest you support.

Yes but when connecting it to the modem it’s telling the Xbox that it can do 1000mbps because my download speeds show it’s 800-900 where as being connected to the router it’s saying it’s download speeds are below 100mbps so it’s not the Xbox and it’s not the cable. If it was the Xbox then it would say it can only do 100mbps on both the router and the modem

So you never tried a different cable?
I have seen cables that will limit to 100 Mbps on one device but give 1000Mbps on another.
Strange but it does happen for some reason.

So you never tried a different cable?
I have seen cables that will limit to 100 Mbps on one device but give 1000Mbps on another.
Strange but it does happen for some reason.
Yeah not sure but can’t run another cable because the Xbox is down the basement and the modem and router is upstairs so I had to run the wiring through the ceiling and the Ethernet is practically new so don’t see it being the cable but I have a usb c to gigabit Ethernet coming in along with the new replacement. I’m going to test the speeds that way on each port to make sure everything is good. Don’t have a laptop so have to connect an Ethernet from my iPad Pro and test it that way

What Firmware are you on? Also, did you try to connect something directly to the Xfinity Modem and confirm the speed?

Cables make a difference too. I upgrade all of my cables at my Modem/Router to Cat 8. Modem to Router, Router to Switch, Router to MoCA adapter. All CAT 8.

The newer (386) firmware has a Internet speed test which lets you check it right at the Router

I also have Xfinity 1G service and took me a couple of tries to get them to get everything setup right.

Screenshot 2021-02-26 143331.jpg

I get 900+ at the router and 600-700 off the LAN Ports. I have one very LONG cable run that only gets 100M, but I'm fine with that. I don't have an Xbox ONE to test. I also get 800+ on WiFi on my Iphone 11 Pro+

I have connected the cable to the modem itself and was getting 800-900mbps download but then connected the same cable to the router LAN port and was only getting 80-100mbps. I returned the router and bought another one I’m going to see if the router itself was faulty. I have I think cat6 or cat7 going from my Xbox to the router. Can’t really change that one out because it’s running through the wall down the basement through the ceiling. I feel like the cable isn’t the problem not sure what was going on but I shouldn’t be getting 2 separate speeds with the same cable going from the modem and going from the router. The router is basically taking the feed from the modem which is gigabit connection and it said 1Gbps for the WAN port so the router was getting those speeds. The problem was the router distributing those speeds.

So I have xfinity xb7and the rt ax86u, so try this, so I ran 2 Ethernet cables from Xb7 gigabit ports, not the red 2.5 gig port, so I set the 86u to dual wan ports, so I configured those, then Ethernet port to 2.5 gig, I get this
8B7F003B-1891-48C3-A520-D3CC4909D5CC.png

I have a ac86u and a ax86u. If I connect the ethernet to my ac86u running to my barn it stays at 1gbs and works perfect (have tested with iperf3). If I connect the same cable to the ax86u it constantly negotiates down to 100. So there is some issue with the ax.

You mentioned you're trying to improve the Xbox's latency. From what I understand, more bandwidth doesn't translate to improved latency.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!