What's new

Asus EA-AC87 CANCELLED?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here in Germany there are about 80 online shops where you can buy it

Word from ASUS is that this has NOT been cancelled. It is being "delayed" until they have final firmware "in a week or so".

Well good call Asus. The EA-AC87 does not work with RT-AC87U on the 9177 firmware which is just absurd. So either I downgraded the RT-AC87U to a less stable version or had a useless EA-AC87. Neither was acceptable IMO.

I returned my EA-AC87 and my RT-AC87U (got the RT-AC3200 instead) due to all these Quantenna issues.

I seems pretty much the same. The stability seems better though :)
I have just enabled beamforming for my 5GHz SSID and it seems to be kicking butt! I tried the AC3200 and the second I enabled smartconnect it immediately puked. That is the whole basis for X-Stream, the ability to separate 5GHz clients by AC & N so the high-speed AC clients aren't hampered by slower legacy N clients. I gave up immediately and went back to the AC87R that was originally in place.

I have just enabled beamforming for my 5GHz SSID and it seems to be kicking butt! I tried the AC3200 and the second I enabled smartconnect it immediately puked. That is the whole basis for X-Stream, the ability to separate 5GHz clients by AC & N so the high-speed AC clients aren't hampered by slower legacy N clients. I gave up immediately and went back to the AC87R that was originally in place.
Well SmartConnect does work but it does have som issues and like everyone else I have disabled it. However I still take advantage of the two 5GHz radios by manually assigning fast devices to the "fast" radio and slower ones to the other. Yes SmartConnect is not perfect but the idea of two 5GHz radios are excellent especially when so few (none) clients support MU-MIMO and in a house with many devices (in a crowded neighbourhood) this is really helpful. And unlike Quantenna these 5GHz radio start up at the same time as the 2.4GHz - which just added to my mislike of RT-AC87U since it had to be rebooted often. After such a reboot all clients would be stuck on 2.4GHz since this network was ready first.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!