What's new

ASUS headache - Help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pmcn

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. Sorry if details missing - first post.
Having some problems with my Asus setup. RT-AC86U with hardwired node RT-AC68U set up as AI mesh node. All running latest firmware (3.0.0.1.384_81351-gcb63868 for the 86U and 3.0.0.1.385_20252-ga052d4c for the 68U).
For the last 2 or maybe 3 firmware updates I have had the same recurring problem. Some users (my children) who have parental controls set up lose their internet access. When I look, the router has suddenly blocked their access completely and locks me out from re-setting it via the web page access. If I change something via the ipad app, it seems to "unlock" it so that I can then go back in via the web page and set things up again. It lasts for a while before doing this again. At the same time, it loses the DCHP configuration with any static ip addresses that I have set up (the main one being my printer which then stops working). Also, my traffic stats page has stopped working - it no longer logs the traffic passing through the router.
I have tried re-booting, re-uploading a "good" configuration that I had previously saved, reverting to factory settings on the 86U and uploading a good configuration, updating firmware (at least 2 updates since this started happening). I haven't reset the node with a factory reset, just the main 86U router.
I have no idea what makes it happen - it seems random, although happened today when I re-booted and it came back up.
Another bizarre bug is that anyone with parental controls set has their wifi calling blocked all of the time. Not sure if this has anything to do with the faults above though.
I don't have any odd settings (that I am aware of) like port forwarding or anything like that. When it works, it works fine, but suddenly does strange things until I spend some time sorting it out.
Thanks for any assistance.
Ian

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-23_22-31-40.png
    upload_2020-2-23_22-31-40.png
    759 bytes · Views: 231
  • upload_2020-2-23_22-31-44.png
    upload_2020-2-23_22-31-44.png
    759 bytes · Views: 247
Since you've got a wired backhaul between the two node, do a factory reset, ditch AiMesh, use the second node in AP node and all will likely stabilize. There is absolutely no tangible benefit of AiMesh with a wired backhaul. It forces frequency overlap, limits control of nodes, and there are dozens of "random behavior" issues you can find in dozens of threads.

Once you make the switch, use a tool like WiFi Analyzer for your PC or Android device (not sure what's available for IOS) and determine the frequency use in the areas to be served. Assign a single SSID for all your radios on all nodes and "set it and forget it".

Here are a couple good articles supporting these best practices and explaining in more detail. They also help to highlight some of the pitfalls AiMesh forces upon users by its very design. There are many similar articles out there supporting these best practices if you look.

I run a main router (AC3100) with up to 6 APs (AC3100, AC68, AC66, N66) following these principles and everything is pretty much "invisible" once it's set up. I say "up to" because I switch some of the APs off when I know there will be no need in "outlying areas".

GOOD LUCK!

PS - I am in no way affiliated with this company, I just found them fairly well written. As always, the advice is worth the price paid :)

https://betanews.com/2019/01/09/smb-wi-fi-done-right-7-best-practices-you-likely-arent-following/

https://betanews.com/2015/07/09/enterprise-class-wi-fi-for-the-smb-15-best-practices-from-the-field/

Thanks to both. I will reset and reconfigure things at the weekend when I get some time.

Missing paragraphs? OK, there isn't a line between my paragraphs - must press enter twice at the end of the paragraphs next time.

I will let you know how I get on although I won't really know if it is working properly until it has been stable for 2 or 3 weeks after reconfiguring it.

So, I reset the main router (AC86U) to factory settings and changed the node (AC66U) to an access point. Initially I reloaded the settings for the 86U, but the problems persisted, so I reset it again and manually reconfigured the settings. The second router works fine as an access point rather than a node and it was all running fine... until this evening. I was trying to sort out the USB drive so that my Sonos system can access it and it had a headache. All time scheduled devices moved to being totally blocked and my printer's static IP address in the DCHP server section disappeared (thus sinking any prospect of printing anything). At no time has the traffic monitor started working again. And after a factory reset, it seems to still recall things. It is not truly reset to factory settings. For example it still "remembers" devices that connected months ago when friends were here - I would expect a factory reset to fully wipe these, but it hasn't. Not really sure where to go from here except possibly to consider Merlin firmware since I am no longer using AImesh. Any suggestions welcome!
thanks,

I think so. I have done it again this evening, but re-loaded from the save settings from a few days ago. I can't be absolutely sure that I ticked the initialize box, but I probably did.

@pmcn it doesn't matter if you ticked that box or not if you are using a saved config file to restore from. :)

To be sure you are starting from a known/good state, do a full M&M Config as outlined in my signature (link) below. ;)

@pmcn it doesn't matter if you ticked that box or not if you are using a saved config file to restore from. :)
Yes it does make a difference. Using the initialize option wipes out the contents of /jffs which includes many files (some quite large) that are not backed up in the config file. The config file backs up nvram not jffs (although there are some nvram variables stored in /jffs).

@ColinTaylor, correct.

I understood that 'everything' was restored .

What does pressing the Reset button at the back of the router?
It clears the nvram but I don't know what it does with the contents of /jffs. Maybe someone (not running John's fork ;)) can try it and let us know.

All time scheduled devices moved to being totally blocked and my printer's static IP address in the DCHP server section disappeared (thus sinking any prospect of printing anything).
Are you not able to set an actual static IP within your printer configuration? I do both, a reservation and an actual static IP. If the printer gets reset for some reason then it is still accessible.

It clears the nvram but I don't know what it does with the contents of /jffs.

WPS button does what Reset does in WebUI, Reset button does what Reset + Initialize does in WebUI, as per my tests on RT-AC86U. Maybe someone with RT-AC68U (A2 preferable, overclocked) can try on this model? :)

Presumably you were powering on the router while the WPS button was depressed and waiting for 10 seconds before releasing it?

Yes, the standard procedure. Not sure how many seconds it needs, until power LED turns off. The only difference with RT-AC86U in particular was power cycle the switch after. It wasn't starting by itself after, or something. I've done this testing long time ago, but I remember WPS was clearing settings only, Reset was total factory defaults with everything wiped. And after Reset it takes longer to boot, compared to WPS.

I've done this testing long time ago, but I remember WPS was clearing settings only, Reset was total factory defaults with everything wiped.
And I thought just the other way round, WPS clears jffs and reset wont as I had better results with WPS in the past (or at last it looked like for me).
But if you tested it for sure you will be right.

So I did the reset with the initialize box ticked, disconnected the AC66 and went through putting all of my settings in again. Went out to pick up the children and it has gone mad again. All time setting devices blocked, DCHP server forgotten the printer ip address and traffic analyser stubbornly refusing to work. Probably other issues that I have not yet discovered. I have not reconnected the AC66 yet as I didn't want to confuse the issue.

Also, despite the initialize box being ticked, it still remembers previous connected devices, so is presumably not forgetting everything.

I am assuming that this must be faulty firmware... I could possibly go back to an older version or switch to merlin. Not sure what else to do here. Or if there is any other way to "properly" reset it to factory settings.

@pmcn, if you are doing the reset properly, you will not see anything 'remembered'. Are you using a new SSID? And then only adding a few devices at a time?

Is there anything else on your network that would 'remember' previously connected devices that you are allowing on your newly configured router?

I would suggest you start with a basic network after a full reset and new, never before used by any device on your network SSIDs; modem/ONT, router and a wired device. See that this is stable before you add a wireless device. Keep testing and adding slowly until the issue reappears.

If it does this 'gone all mad' again with known/good devices, it may be a hardware issue then.

So I did the reset with the initialize box ticked, disconnected the AC66 and went through putting all of my settings in again. Went out to pick up the children and it has gone mad again. All time setting devices blocked, DCHP server forgotten the printer ip address and traffic analyser stubbornly refusing to work. Probably other issues that I have not yet discovered. I have not reconnected the AC66 yet as I didn't want to confuse the issue.

Also, despite the initialize box being ticked, it still remembers previous connected devices, so is presumably not forgetting everything.

I am assuming that this must be faulty firmware... I could possibly go back to an older version or switch to merlin. Not sure what else to do here. Or if there is any other way to "properly" reset it to factory settings.

Should not be this difficult. The 86U going mad and not resetting properly sounds like sick hardware. Could try a spare power adapter to see if it's bad power.

But then I would make your 68U (or is it a 66U?) the site router to get up and running again.

Note that all IPs managed by the router, auto and manually-assigned, should fall within the DHCP Server IP Pool that you set in the router.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!