What's new

Asus media Server keeps Scanning

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

twitchyzero

Regular Contributor
so everything was running fine for months
suddenly Media server wasnt detected
i disable and reanble it
the media server status is stuck on searching...on my TV i can only see some files

is there any way to get around this without reseting the router?
I've unmounted the drive and replugged it.
I dont wish to reset until end of the month because I keep a tab of the bandwidth usage.

i dont see any errors or anything funky in the logs

USB3 drive on RT-AC56U on (Merlin fork) 374.43_2-06Ej9527

It sounds as if the Media Server may be spinning on a corrupt file or one it doesn't understand. If you recently added some new media files, you can try deleting them one-by-one until you find the one causing a problem. You could also disconnect the drive from the router and take it to a PC and run a chkdsk/fsck (you didn't specify the drive format) on the drive to verify it's integrity.

so everything was running fine for months
suddenly Media server wasnt detected
i disable and reanble it
the media server status is stuck on searching...on my TV i can only see some files

is there any way to get around this without reseting the router?
I've unmounted the drive and replugged it.
I dont wish to reset until end of the month because I keep a tab of the bandwidth usage.

i dont see any errors or anything funky in the logs

USB3 drive on RT-AC56U on (Merlin fork) 374.43_2-06Ej9527
I've seen this before. there is a catalog file that the media server creates while scanning. If interrupt the write, power cycle, the file may be corrupted. Unmounted the drive, delete the file and remount it. Unfortunately i don't remember the name of the file but its pretty obvious when you look through the drive.

I've seen this before. there is a catalog file that the media server creates while scanning. If interrupt the write, power cycle, the file may be corrupted. Unmounted the drive, delete the file and remount it. Unfortunately i don't remember the name of the file but its pretty obvious when you look through the drive.
system log will tell you which file fsck is stuck on.

so rebooting didn't work
what did the trick for me was removing the default media share path and uncheck photos/videos/audio, click apply. Then reselect the drive and check all these again, then apply. Media server is no longer stuck on scanning and I can see all the files again on my TV

FYI if you ever get the same issue.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!