What's new

Asus Merlin ac3100 slow!!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ssorc98

Occasional Visitor
Good day, I have been searching for a way to optimize my Asus Merlin ac3100 router, and it has been difficult to find a comprehensive guide. I get 1000 Mbps from my ISP, but only around 300-400 Mbps when connected to my router. I have the latest firmware 384.10 Beta3. Before the Beta is blamed this has been going on with other stable builds as well. Can anyone assist with any tweaks to the settings that works with improving the speed? thanks.

Good day, I have been searching for a way to optimize my Asus Merlin ac3100 router, and it has been difficult to find a comprehensive guide. I get 1000 Mbps from my ISP, but only around 300-400 Mbps when connected to my router. I have the latest firmware 384.10 Beta3. Before the Beta is blamed this has been going on with other stable builds as well. Can anyone assist with any tweaks to the settings that works with improving the speed? thanks.
Try without QOS.

Go to Lan>Switch Control>Nat Acceleration>Enable

Oh and then reboot if it was disabled to start with.

I get 1000 Mbps from my ISP, but only around 300-400 Mbps when connected to my router.
I am unfamiliar with the screen panels for your particular router so you will have to determine which screens will have the information.
  • I suspect that the router Ethernet to your ISP modem (I assume) may not be connecting at 1 Gbps. Please confirm my suspicions. If this is the case, it could be your Ethernet cable or other.
  • Please connect a PC to the Ethernet of your router and run a speed test. Advise as to speed reported.
  • Has there always been a speed issue?
Recommendations that may resolve:
  • If you can, configure your ISP modem's port that connects to router for 1 Gbps / Full Duplex.
  • Temporarily disable IPv6. I have found that some ISP have issues with customer provided router but I have to admit not so much with ASUS.

NAT Acceleration is set to auto, no option for Enable, only disable. Jumbo Frame is disabled, Spanning-Tree Protocol is Enabled, Bonding/ Link aggregation is disabled

Get a direct connection to your modem and test.

The info I sent initially was based on a direct connection to my router, and then to the Asus router via LAN

Check the Tools -> Sysinfo page, and confirm the following:

- NAT acceleration is set to enabled on at least one of the two options
- The WAN link rate shows 1 Gbps and not 100 Mbps

Attachments

• ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U   System Information.png
    ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U System Information.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 880
I apologize I was looking for the actual words earlier

Attachments

• 2019-03-22_17-15-09.png
    2019-03-22_17-15-09.png
    39 KB · Views: 616
I'm having the same issue with 384.10 on my AC3200. I'm running ~50% of my bandwidth when testing. Once I roll back to 384.9 there is no issue. I had just downloaded 384.10 beta 3 to give it a try and decided to look to see if anyone else has reported a similar issue. I tested on a wired connection, and both the WAN port and LAN port were both connected at 1000. NAT acceleration is also enabled.

Edit:
I just flashed Beta 3, and the issue seems to be resolved. The speeds are right where they should be. The problem happened with both Beta 1, and Beta 2.

Last edited:
Would you mind sharing your settings, I am trying to adjust mine to improve my speed

All of my settings are pretty much default. My plan is 250mbps so it's not near as fast as yours is. Mine always tests out at ~300mbps.

You need to be sure to have NAT acceleration on though for plans that are over 100mbps. That's definitely where I'd start. That's in LAN >> Switch Control. Set it to auto. In there I have Jumbo Frames off (because I don't host any large files or net appliances), and Spanning-Tree protocal is enabled, it was by default. I hope that helps some!

It is set to Automatic IP
OK. That's fine.

Can you see what the router's CPU usage is like when you're downloading at the maximum speed. If hardware acceleration is working correctly the CPU load should be minimal. If there's a problem with it you'll see one of the processors at 100%.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!