What's new

CenturyLink Fiber configuration assistance [RT-AX88U]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The_Great_Writ

New Around Here
Hello,

After many hours spent researching the issue, I still have not been able to properly configure my router. CenturyLink provided a username and password as well as the following information:

• VLAN: 201
  • Multiplexer = LLC
  • VPI = 0
  • VCI = 32
The problem seems to pertain to VPI, VPI, and/or Multiplexer settings. I have been unable to find anything referencing where these options can be found.

Could someone PLEASE point me to a guide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It's not shown in that article, but the first step is to configure the WAN Connection Type as PPPoE and enter your username and password.

It's not shown in that article, but the first step is to configure the WAN as PPPoE and enter your username and password.

Yes, then the problem seems to be in relation to VPI, VPI, and/or Multiplexer settings. I have been unable to find anything referencing where these options can be found.

Yes, then the problem seems to be in relation to VPI, VPI, and/or Multiplexer settings. I have been unable to find anything referencing where these options can be found.
Those need to be set on the modem that your Asus' WAN port is connected to. The RT-AX88U does not have a built-in modem so you still need a device for that.

How does the isp provide this service?

Is this just Ethernet to your unit? or address?

Fiber from an ONT in a Gpon setup?

Is there a ISP provided modem?

How is it hooked up to your Router?

How does the isp provide this service.

Is this just Ethernet to your unit? or address?

Is there a ISP provided modem?

Initially CenturyLink refused to install fiber service in my condo (28 unit older construction) although the homes next door already had fiber service. I found a few emails to complain and CenturyLink's Director of Operations for Northern America followed up with me. Eventually they wired the entire building with true fiber lines at no cost. There are two separate fiber receivers placed on either side of the building. From each of the two points, 14 each individual fiber lines are run directly into each unit via ONT boxes.

You could use the IPTV settings in manual and add the VPN information there. Reboot and see what happens.

You could use the IPTV settings in manual and add the VPN information there. Reboot and see what happens.
This way you wouldn't need the modem at all.

screencapture-router-asus-Advanced-IPTV-Content-asp-2019-12-14-17_12_18.png

All you need is to put VID to 201 and prio to 0 in the internet slot and apply. Done.

Hello,

After many hours spent researching the issue, I still have not been able to properly configure my router. CenturyLink provided a username and password as well as the following information:

• VLAN: 201
  • Multiplexer = LLC
  • VPI = 0
  • VCI = 32
The problem seems to pertain to VPI, VPI, and/or Multiplexer settings. I have been unable to find anything referencing where these options can be found.

Could someone PLEASE point me to a guide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can also configure a basic smart switch like I have. A small 5 port switch capable of vlans. This helps to 1) eliminate the modem between ONT and Router. 2) If the vlan requires tagging on the port facing the ONT, you can do that on the switch. I've been doing this for a year now using fibre and a switch between my ONT and my Router AX88U.

All you need is to put VID to 201 and prio to 0 in the internet slot and apply. Done.
If you try this again you will have to reboot. Beware as this setting can create a race condition between startup scripts and services.

The race condition I'm referring to is, IPTV settings seem to load almost last in the router's startup. This means no internet connection until it loads, so no time sync or anything that needs the internet until it loads. So all of a sudden all these services and startup scripts run at once.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!