What's new

Asus Merlin firmware on ASUS AC86U - ASUS APP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DarkKnight75

New to the forum, been rocking ASUS routers for 8 years. Just upgraded from an N66U to an AC86U, what a treat :)

Currently no issues running latest ASUS firmware as of 4.18.2019. I'd like to know if ASUS Merlin firmware is compatible with the ASUS App on Android?

Any issues

New to the forum, been rocking ASUS routers for 8 years. Just upgraded from an N66U to an AC86U, what a treat :)

Currently no issues running latest ASUS firmware as of 4.18.2019. I'd like to know if ASUS Merlin firmware is compatible with the ASUS App on Android?

Any issues
no issues at all :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190418-230907.jpg
    Screenshot_20190418-230907.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 489
DarkKnight, have been using the Merlin fork on every Asus we've owned or worked on, since the year after it started; have never had any problems with it; if you're needing AiMesh, you might want to stick with the official blend. Many are still using their trusty 66's with the Merlin fork by John, plenty of life left in them . Do all of the reading you can, and you'll probably have a great experience; it's worked fine on our 86.

DarkKnight, have been using the Merlin fork on every Asus we've owned or worked on, since the year after it started; have never had any problems with it; if you're needing AiMesh, you might want to stick with the official blend. Many are still using their trusty 66's with the Merlin fork by John, plenty of life left in them . Do all of the reading you can, and you'll probably have a great experience; it's worked fine on our 86.

I upgraded to Merlin last night...running rock solid on my ac86u.

There you go! Most 86s do amazing things with Merlin, it's far, far beyond those that came before. We ran two concurrent OpenVPN tunnels with our AC3200; the 86 doesn't even break a sweat compared to the 3200. Hope you enjoy it, most do.

No clue but the the Asus iOS app was a pain, and presented far too many security holes, we quit playing with it a couple of years ago; haven't used an Android router app for even longer, sorry.

Been using the Android app on and off for months and just deleted it. Even with remote access off, it was still possible to change some settings like DNS Auto on/off. I personally prefer to have a more secure setup. Just me.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!