What's new

Asus N66U running fw 380.65 VPN has "start with wan" problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John Ottestad

New Around Here
I am running merlin 380.65 on my Asus N66U. Selective routing with openvpn works perfectly when started manually, but fails when "start with WAN" is ticked and router rebooted. Have seen from some very old posts that this problem has occured before because of a timing issue (VPN starting before all other router systems are up and running) . Is my problem the same old one, and how can it be fixed ?

Below you will find the log when using selective VPN routing. The logged sequence of events is as follows:

1) "start with wan" is "off". Selective routing working perfectly.
2) "start with wan" is changed to "on", followed by "apply". Selective routing still works perfectly.
3) "reboot". Following reboot green light indicates that VPN client is on. But the VPN tunnel with selective routing does not provide internet connection over the remote VPN server. Other local clients not connected through the VPN tunnel have internet connection over wan.

BTW. Very satisfied with Merlin - great job.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your post on my other thread, it's good to know I'm not the only one wanting to find a solution to that particular problem.

When I am at home again I'll reboot my router and grab the log so we can compare.