What's new

"Asus NAT Loopback" and "Merlin NAT Loopback" differences?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stambeccuccio

1) What are the differences between "Asus NAT Loopback" (default) and "Merlin NAT Loopback"?
2) Why to prefer one over the other?
3) What is the most effective?

1568xg8.jpg

207n6sp.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
I've checked the Asuswrt-merlin wiki page and I couldn't find an answer... it would be useful to understand which he the differences are...

Tia.

Do you know where I can find some sort of white paper which explains the pros and cons of having this setting on 'Asus' / 'Merlin' / 'Disable' ?

I believe in earlier versions of the firmware the Asus stock NAT loop-back implementation didn't always work as expected hence an alternative implementation (Merlin) was included in the firmware. The trick really is select the one that works for you when attempting to access services on your LAN with the external IP address although to be honest I'm not sure now that there is much difference, both seem to work out for me with my setup.

You might find a bit more detail here;

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/nat-loopback-issue.23799/

If you're not running publicly accessible web services in your LAN such as a web server which you want to access internally using the same DNS name or public IP then this setting is immaterial to you

I believe in earlier versions of the firmware the Asus stock NAT loop-back implementation didn't always work as expected hence an alternative implementation (Merlin) was included in the firmware. The trick really is select the one that works for you when attempting to access services on your LAN with the external IP address although to be honest I'm not sure now that there is much difference, both seem to work out for me with my setup.

You might find a bit more detail here;

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/nat-loopback-issue.23799/

If you're not running publicly accessible web services in your LAN such as a web server which you want to access internally using the same DNS name or public IP then this setting is immaterial to you

Which means I can disable it then :)

Many thanks.

its rare for me because i need this function and not work.
Last week i use the asus stock firmware and loopback works perfect.
No i have the last version of merlin and no work loopback merlin and not works asus loopback :-(

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!