What's new

ASUS ROG RT-5300 - Transmit power - WiFi dropping

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tc1uscg

New Around Here
Ok, I pulled the trigger a few weeks back and got the ROG. Once you get past the 8 legs, it's just a big box expected to do a big job. But I'm having some issues/questions that I don't seem to be able to pin down.

1. Can I use the 2 GAMING Ethernet ports for anything other then gaming? EX, say I wanted to plug a WDMycoloud into it. I expect it will still handle it just because I'm watching Rambo, not playing it.

2. In the Wireless settings, Professional, the Tx power adjustment option is MISSING. Did I click on something that might have hidden it?

3. WTH does this think disconnect some wifi connections? Wife has a Nexus 5x phone. It seems to drop WiFi from time to time w/no warning. I've not noticed it on my samsung phone but it's also happened to a iPhone 6s. Either it recovers on it's own or you have to re-connect to the WiFi.

4. Network Map: Why does it keep changing? I can be looking at it for one minute, then all of a sudden, I've gone from 20 clients to 10, and I know for a fact I have two WDMycloud drives connected to a 16 port TPLink switch. But they do not show up on the ASUS. Not only that, I have a laser printer and a few other devices on the same TPLink that DO show up in the ASUS. I can plug the WDMC's directing to the ASUS and they show up. Move them over, and when I try to connect, I'm seeing "Remote access denied" from the phone's cloud app used to connect to the devices. I have a Netgear NAS104 connected to the NAS port and it shows up and works fine if that matters.

I'm trying hard to adjust and like this router. I didn't get it just for gaming (my kids have a Xbox 1, 360, PS4, 3, and 2 and even a Wii. I have about a half a dozen Rokus and a media server and HDHomerun box running with the media server. All seems to work fine. Just the above things are really working my nerves.

Thanks in advance.

OH, one more thing. My firmware is 3.0.0.4.384_20648 and I'm coming from the ASUS RT-66R that I've had since it was released. Nothing was wrong with it, just wanted the upgrade hoping I'd get a little more coverage and faster throughput for wireless applications.. So far, I'm thing the 66R, as far as WiFi goes, was a better device.. :-(