What's new

Asus router app

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

easyriider

Occasional Visitor
In the latest firmware from Asus they announced an Android app working with the latest Asus routers. I have tested it with Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 on my AC56U and luckily here it is also working.

3pTZRGf.jpg

XYJNbEj.jpg

And what are your first impressions? Have you noticed anything you can do with it that you can't do via the web GUI? For use only on your LAN? Is it password protected (I guess it won't be asking for admin username and password each time)?

I have an Android emulator on my laptop, so I might just take a look.

I've tried it on my n66u but a few things seem to be inconsistent. Like it will state internet is blocked to a certain device but in the router gui it is not.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

In the app there is "Wifi eco mode". I could not find it in the web interface, but if I switch it on in the app I recognized that Tx power adjustment was reduced to 1% in the web interface. So that is maybe the equivalent setting.

With my RT-N66U the Asus Android App only worked the first time with the Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 firmware. Now the app only writes that my Asus router is incompatible. I made no changes to the router since it worked the first time.

Someone have an idea?

With my RT-N66U the Asus Android App only worked the first time with the Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 firmware. Now the app only writes that my Asus router is incompatible. I made no changes to the router since it worked the first time.

Someone have an idea?

Wait for next version of Merlin - or try the new beta? Asuswrt-Merlin 378.56_2 has N66U binaries from 3.0.0.4.378.9235, Git log suggests new version binaries are from .9313 which is the latest official N66 firmware and Asus announced support in its release notes:-

http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTN66U/HelpDesk_Download/

Last edited:
It works for me on my N66u, 57 alpha 2.

Something new seems to be the ability to change the client list icon to a photo taken by your smartphone. I get a message "ActivityResult resulterror" message, though.

Ecoboost changes the transmit power to 1. The description seems to be "while you sleep", but there doesn't seem to be a timer, so I wonder if it means, "while no wireless devices are active". Might mean more on the 87U

Ecoboost changes the transmit power to 1. The description seems to be "while you sleep"...

Had it been an Apple app, given Apple's design excellence, I would have said the app obviously realises when you're sleeping.

(The Google Play Store decided the app wasn't compatible with my Android emulator/laptop, even though all the other Asus apps displayed an install button. No matter: the fewer routes of access to my router the better.)

Last edited:
I just got notice of an update. Looks like it covers more router models, and works with a router in the AP mode.

I noticed that when enabling WiFi ECO mode my wifi range is increased significantly. I was expecting that the range would be lower...
Anyone with the same behavior?

I noticed that when enabling WiFi ECO mode my wifi range is increased significantly. I was expecting that the range would be lower...
Anyone with the same behavior?

My guess is, your output power wasn't set to 100%. The application did so because it was in the "full power" period of the schedule.

I contacted Mike Pan, the developer, and asked about plans for an Apple app:

"Actually we are waiting for the approval of Apple.
Hope we can see the iOS version on iTunes Store soon!

Best Regards,
Mike Pan"

Wait for next version of Merlin - or try the new beta?

Thank you very much for this hint. I use Merlin 380.57_alpha3 since some days now without problems and the Asus App is working great.

hi guys , a quick question
how does the firmware behave with the app aicloud? does it work the same way as the stock firmware?

I contacted Mike Pan, the developer, and asked about plans for an Apple app:

"Actually we are waiting for the approval of Apple.
Hope we can see the iOS version on iTunes Store soon!

Best Regards,
Mike Pan"

The app is now in the Apple app store. It doesn't work for me: it never gets beyond attempting to log in.

The app is now in the Apple app store. It doesn't work for me: it never gets beyond attempting to log in.
Just downloaded it onto my iPhone 6. Works just as well as with my HTC M9, on both of my routers. The ac66u runs 378.56_2 and the ac87u 380.57_alpha4.

Just downloaded it onto my iPhone 6. Works just as well as with my HTC M9, on both of my routers. The ac66u runs 378.56_2 and the ac87u 380.57_alpha4.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and tried it on my iPad, too, with the same result. Troubleshooting by inputting an incorrect credential, I see that that the app is authenticating properly with the router, it just hangs some time after that stage. I'll let the developer know anyway.

Just curious if this app will work w/ an RT-5300 configured in AP mode w/ MAC filtering enabled? Installed on an iPhone 6s but never finds the 5300/AP. The iPhone connects fine, the app just can't find the AP.

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!