What's new

Asus Router Country Code

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

funkymonkeyboy

New Around Here
I recently bought the RT-AC68U from an online UK retailer.

I discovered that it is using the DE country code as shown by OS X.

Is this normal? Should this be changed to UK?

Someone else from the UK reported the same thing. It's not coming from the firmware (which is probably set to EU) so it's either a bogus value or something "burnt in" to the wireless chipset.

Either way you can't change it. It doesn't matter because the UK and DE have the same bands/power limitations.

My rt-ac87u had the same code when i bought it from amazon uk. I asumed it was shipped from that country as amazon sometimes ships packages from France etc, to me.

I recently bought the RT-AC68U from an online UK retailer.

I discovered that it is using the DE country code as shown by OS X.

Is this normal? Should this be changed to UK?

Are you talking about the info in "System Profiler"? If so, this is what is in the client chipset, not the router... not to worry, DE is the same as UK

Im taking about the drop down menu when you alt click on the wifi icon in bar at the top of the desktop.

Gotcha... that is the country mode for the Mac's chipset and driver, not the router...

Again, not a problem...

Someone else from the UK reported the same thing. It's not coming from the firmware (which is probably set to EU) so it's either a bogus value or something "burnt in" to the wireless chipset.

Either way you can't change it. It doesn't matter because the UK and DE have the same bands/power limitations.

While you can't just change it with stock or Merlins firmware you are both totally wrong with a simple change of firmware or edit of the bootloader.

Region free here, full power available if I want it.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/q-...ess-channels-and-allow-higher-tx-power.18381/

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-update-for-374-43-available.18914/

Hello, sorry that i revive this thread but i have this problem too.
And for your information as i see some people are misinformed, the mac sets it's own country code on wifi based on the country code of the router it is connected.
But i wanted to be sure, and so i got to ssh on the router on ac5300 and got the wl country, and guess what, it is DE, wtf?
How can we change the country code? as this is not ok for performance with interferences and not ok even legally, there must be a way to set the country code for the one i am living in, not the only one asus wants.

@sucka Quite a lot has changed since 2015. Wireless routers are locked down even more so that you can't change the country code. There's also been some regulation changes across the EU.

What country are you in?

@sucka Quite a lot has changed since 2015. Wireless routers are locked down even more so that you can't change the country code. There's also been some regulation changes across the EU.

What country are you in?

As Colin mentions - things are getting locked down in a big way -- as an example, Broadcom wifi chips have a one-time programmable memory block inside the chip itself - in the past, this block was used for calibration, MAC address, device ID's, etc... but starting to see where the country code is written into that block, and once written, it cannot be changed - even if changing the country code in uBoot or CFE...

I know, but the lockdown is for the users, especially for eliminating interferences, not having the ability to set my country so it can set itself the country code or detect like the mac from the neighboring wifi raises problems. And i am from romania.
Most smart routers have the ability to choose country or detects it and that's how you are sure the device runs on the specs of that country, and for devices like macbook that needs the country code to set itself is a pain to have 10 country codes for every router as not one allows it, i don't want to uses apples router or enterprise equipment to be able to have everything accordingly.