What's new

Asus router Lag issues on fps games

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brandon207

Occasional Visitor
So to start off, I have an Asus rt-ac56r. Out of the box the router seemed quite speedy before and after the update, however when playing online (xbox) I always felt delayed or behind other players on black ops 2. My friend using ps3 at the same time suffered issues it seemed. I have turned UPNP on and it always shows all 3 of our consoles with open nat types. I've set the adaptive qos on, nothing helps me. Now the ps3 is suffering, same issues instant deaths or hit markers in black ops 2 for me I play ghosts and some lobbys are okay some are just pure bs, shooting first and being melted, or I'll eat bullets when I shouldn't be, I assume this depends on if I'm host, however overall the game is usually not like this for me, on my old router it runs almost perfect hit detection is great even with qos on and it's a crappy router, I always run wired, with brand new cat 6 cable to take advantage of gigabit, have tried other types less than cat 6 and still same issues, I did however run a netalyzer test from mobile (I don't have a pc but do have Android phone which has many useful apps) of course if my wireless is having issues it'll lead to inaccuracy. So I run netalyzer set qos 70% with my 50 down 5 upload speed and download always reports good upload is always my main issue, and I feel the root of my issues online I get between 190 and upwards of - 1500ms uplink buffer. Average is like probably 190-300, sometimes when my phone reads high my lan still plays okay. However it is still very inconsistent. Like I said some matches are decent and more often than not I'm quitting out constantly, I will say me and my friend are above average cod players not trying to sound cocky but in ghosts I have nearly a 2.7kd ratio which I know if I wanted could be a 4-5 ratio. I'm more of the pub stomper kem strike nuke dropper decent at competitive and still wreck even kids with kds above mine. He's very strategic very accurate excellent at objective based modes. I'll watch him doing everything right and still getting dropped for no reason. That's just a profile of how competitive we are. So to cut this shorter than as long as it could be, what's causing these spikes and hit detection upload buffer issues? Gaming is set as priority and I set my console as highest priority matches are found fast game "appears" smooth but registration is not. Even just using my modem directly connected my connection feels stable. Again I do apologize for the ramble and I highly appreciate everyones response :)

Netalyzr test results from Android
My network performance according to Netalyzr: http://n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/summary/id=43ca253f-31759-f3c06380-c236-48d1-a701

Last edited:
I realize dns shows errors, my cousin has time warner and his says the same but he doesn't lag at all and plays wireless with his Xbox 360. I've tried different dns servers and twc is still fastest as far as I've observed. When he tested his router he has up to 60ms down link buffer and very low uplink buffer so nothing major for him except his tcp setup actually is slower, I don't typically have packet loss either, again when I set the uplink higher or lower the buffer gets worse and better for uplink for me I use 5-5.5up and 40 down that gave me the smoothest results using qos settings, Netflix runs fine Web browsing is fine but twitch shooters run like crap for us when in game. And if my console isn't set to highest priority then the chat can sometimes sound crackly. As it is set to highest now conversation is smooth but again gaming isn't. Maybe my routers qos is setup wrong, we have my 360 wired, ps3 wireless on 2.4ghz and Xbox one on 5ghz

Now lately it seems like UPNP is being funky, I'll have open nat and now the ps3 is strict but UPNP is enabled on ps3 and on router so I'm really confused

Those are some good results with Netalyzer. Without some sort of traffic-shaping on my end, my latency is 600+ on both up/down while the connection is saturated. So, your connection has potential, for sure. :)

It's not the bandwidth from yoru PS3 that is killing it, right? I wouldn't think a simple video game would create enough traffic (not for a gigabit router) to bother that dual-core beast.

If you are getting bad ping while you're not download/uploading crap, then there is a problem, like a misconfiguration or somethign. QoS is only meant to guarantee service during times of congestion (~80%+ upload/download). If that situation is never happening, yet you get poor service while gaming... there's something amiss.

So what your saying is that qos isn't actually doing anything then since I never even hit above my 50mbit download and 5 upload speeds, unless course someone was torrenting that might possibly hog up upload speeds. However the issue was actually on my Xbox 360, bullets either register to slow or I'm just melting people. Or someone will say I'm sounding like I'm breaking up on their end maybe it's just the mic but to me they sound just fine this is qos on and Xbox 360 set as top priority. But from what your saying qos won't even affect me so basically I'm wasting my time using it. Ideally what I wanted was my gaming to just be smooth online for all 3 consoles and technically this device should be able to manage all three effectively with UPNP enabled. Typically it says we get open nat. All I wanted to do is make sure Netflix never interfered with the gaming packets. Also, what are ideally the best settings for my consoles if gaming is my thing that I want to be stable? When I first got my router I was getting major lag compensation constantly eg I'd see someone then I'd die immediately because it would show them seeing me first in the kill cam which I know wasn't true. Almost as if the router was too good and beating the connections of other players especially ones with low ping and it was getting me killed constantly. Idk I may go back to no QOS and try that. Are there settings that will mess cause nat issues? I was reading somewhere that hardware or nat acceleration was actually bad for holding good nat. All I know is this router has too many settings which is nice but it's been more of a issue than a blessing unfortunately

Also my Xbox 360 is wired to my router with a cat 6 cable, maybe the transmission rate is to high? As in maybe gigabit is hurting game play due to speeds being to fast? All I can say is wired to modem I can't say I have any issues but wired to router modem I do... So I don't know what's going wrong. Maybe the hardware is bad or OS is corrupted and needs to be wiped and reloaded which I have no idea how to clear it back to when I first bought it. Also considered trying merlins firmware as well. So options are on the table here. I definitely have enough bandwidth that much I know for sure.

Hmm. Cat6/5/5e should make no difference, assuming the cables are in good condition.

Might you need to reset the nvram/settings? If not, then I would disable unneeded features and maybe read a quick tcpdump tutorial so you can get a quick packet capture during a few minutes of gameplay, just to make sure you do not have some glaringly obvious misconfiguration going on. Maybe disable UPnP and setup the port-forwards/port-triggers manually?

Have you ever connected to the router's terminal and ran "top" to see if any processes are needlessly overloading your system?

I have not honestly, by looking at the cpu usage it doesn't show I'm really using much and I think I have disabled the silly features like server file sharing and stuff like that or vpn, thing is UPNP was giving all our devices open nat types and we we have three consoles and there's no way all three could use all the bandwidth at once, I have even watched the bandwidth monitor part and nothing even seems remotely excessive, as of now the ps3 is and my Xbox 360 is open nat and Idk about the Xbox one but typically we would have all open nat types utilizing the UPNP feature. Even with open nat I get people's chat as kinda cutting out sorta not much but I mean that indicates some sort of nat issue as far as I'm concerned and all the consoles are set for automatic ip in dhcp server and should automatically change ip by themselves, however perhaps static assignment outside the range might help that way there's no worry of knowing if the ip doesn't update to a new one on the device. I googled if cat6 matter on Xbox 360 and evidently they don't since the ethernet is 10/100 and cat5e/cat6 are backwards compatible and this cord is literally in mint condition, does not wiggle when connected and does not have any visible signs of damage to it. So in reality this just points to the router being the problem source I would assume.

For starters I would look into port triggering if you have that many devices going. For two please disable QOS. have you checked the cables? Its very easy. All you have to do is run a suspect cable from PC to another device like a another laptop that is on or even the router. Get the ip address of the other client, open a command prompt (windows key+R) type (CMD) and run this command. I will list the ip address as if you had the other end connected to router. (ping -t 192.168.1.1) the -t option means it will run until you close the command window. A wired connection should be 1ms to router. Also you could do it the easy way and this will also help us. Go to pingtest.net and speedtest.net and report back with the numbers. What kind of modem do you have? Possible it could be conflicting. Do you know how to check the modem signal levels? Its super simple if you do have a modem. First and foremost i would go to speedtest.net and pingtest.net and disabling QOS. I have had good luck for what its worth using port triggering in enviroments where multiple connections are trying to access the same port.

I actually read that port triggering only allows one device at a time to access a port. So now how would say two Xbox consoles trying to use the same port not conflict because of that? I'm confused by that. Also not sure if hardware acceleration of cut through forwarding should even on or not

Unfortunately I do not have a laptop to test this at this moment, but I can probably borrow one, I set my router up via my android phone so. Am I supposed to be running these tests while connected via pc to router that's connected to modem or just the modem itself? Also another thing I've noticed is the issues persist even when 360 is connected to the modem directly, which now makes me wonder is its really even the router causing issues. Earlier I was able to obtain perfect buffer on netalyzer from my phone by removing CTF, all seemed well, but then the upload buffer issues came back. later on while realizing hey nobody's using wifi let's try a direct connection, this should yield no lag at all, and typically almost always does, well I was wrong. I tried multiple different games and several matches and all yielded similar results. I was getting one shot very often regardless of being directly wired to modem now, now in the past I've noticed psn to be very solid online both when I had ps3/ps4 and typically my friend would be getting perfect hit detection on fps games connected to the router, so that made me think we'll now we both have issues what's the common denominator here the router? Now in the past I've never had any issues online direct to modem ever maybe there was a random super laggy kid in the lobby that would get dumb kills on me, this is black ops 2, and it's funny how my cousin has Time warner cable also but hardly ever has lag issues, unless I'm the party host, so all this evidence leads me to suspect maybe I have a bad cable line, modem or both.

You can access your cable modems webpage at 192.168.100.1 if you want to check it out. Post back your upsteam and downstream frequency levels along with your signal to noise ratio

Screenshot_2015-04-20-03-18-43.png
Screenshot_2015-04-20-03-18-25.png

Couldn't find the signal to noise ratio maybe it is on one of those screen shots there's also this upstream burst screenshot not sure if it helps but I'm providing it
Screenshot_2015-04-20-03-34-14.png