What's new

Asus router Lag issues on fps games

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sounds like you are describing lag compensation to me.

You have a relatively high upload speed 3.2Mbit/s going on there (which possibly wasn't so high on your old router due to the QOS and/or bottleneck), therefore every other game or so you will be made host.

Cod always selects the players with the highest upload to be host and then "lag compensates" you to supposedly even up the playing field.

Restrict your upload speed by means of QOS to 0.450Mbit/s but leave the download alone.

This will trick cod into thinking your connection is not so good.

Enjoy COD as your used to, (except for the rare game you will still be made host)

https://community.callofduty.com/thread/200612130

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kz1Bou688pRiwgtc4xxNIditEmsV0gYKmTkskQiJG6g/edit?pli=1

Last edited:
Sounds like you are describing lag compensation to me.

You have a relatively high upload speed 3.2Mbit/s going on there (which possibly wasn't so high on your old router due to the QOS and/or bottleneck), therefore every other game or so you will be made host.

Cod always selects the players with the highest upload to be host and then "lag compensates" you to supposedly even up the playing field.

Restrict your upload speed by means of QOS to 0.450Mbit/s but leave the download alone.

This will trick cod into thinking your connection is not so good.

Enjoy COD as your used to, (except for the rare game you will still be made host)

https://community.callofduty.com/thread/200612130

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Kz1Bou688pRiwgtc4xxNIditEmsV0gYKmTkskQiJG6g/edit?pli=1
How do u do this on the Asus router to affect one device specifically, yeah I notice when I'm not host I suffer alot less. Like when someone from a different state is part leader it won't make me host and therefore no lag compensation either. I always thought host had the most advantage.... Maybe this doesn't apply to multi-player versus private match

On the Asus routers, QOS with stock or merlin firmware, with great difficulty is unfortunately the answer.

There is no limit bandwidth by ip as such like there is on other routers as far as I am aware.

On Tomato firmware it is easy:

TomatoIPMACBW.jpg

But that does not help you;

On the asus firmware it's a right biatch.

On the lowest setting under upload set the max bandwidth to the percentage of your upload you want to achieve the bandwidth you want.

Yours was 3.2, you want about .5 so set it to about 16% to achieve this based on 3.2 upload (measure your upload speed first to check that's correct)

Leave minimum bandwidth on 2%

Under download change it to 100%

(Remember you are only going to use this "lowest" setting on the ps3)

asus-dsl-n55u-qos-user-priority.jpg

Then go to Traffic Manager - QOS

16_RT-N66U_GUI_9.jpg

On this I think you would have to enter the source Ip or Mac of your ps3, and then every single port it uses.

• TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
  • UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070

, then set priority to lowest for each line.

Then go to your ps3 network setttings, run a network test and check the given upload and download speeds to check it has worked.

There may be an easier / better way of doing this via a script etc that someone cleverer than me might be able to help with, it is also not a guarantee that it will fix your issue, although it does sound like classic lag compensation you are suffering from.

Another way would be to use tomato or DDwrt firmware on your router, or get another cheap router with ddwrt on it, with dhcp etc turned off and put it inline between the main asus and the ps3.

Good luck !

Last edited:
upstream and downstream signal strengths look normal. The downstream at -7dBmv is a bit low - ideal is closer to 0dBmV. To improve, reduce the number of splitter ports between the main feed and the cable modem. I.e., if the cable modem is on one port of a 4 port splitter: Make the very first splitter in the house a 2-way, one leg to the cable modem, the other to a 3 way splitter, etc.

Not essential.

Watch the uplink signal strength closely at different times of the day, different weather, etc. If it gets too high, like -50dBmv or so, there is interference on the cable, or a bad coax connection that comes and goes with weather, etc.

On the Asus routers, QOS with stock or merlin firmware, with great difficulty is unfortunately the answer.

There is no limit bandwidth by ip as such like there is on other routers as far as I am aware.

On Tomato firmware it is easy:

TomatoIPMACBW.jpg

But that does not help you;

On the asus firmware it's a right biatch.

On the lowest setting under upload set the max bandwidth to the percentage of your upload you want to achieve the bandwidth you want.

Yours was 3.2, you want about .5 so set it to about 16% to achieve this based on 3.2 upload (measure your upload speed first to check that's correct)

Leave minimum bandwidth on 2%

Under download change it to 100%

(Remember you are only going to use this "lowest" setting on the ps3)

asus-dsl-n55u-qos-user-priority.jpg

Then go to Traffic Manager - QOS

16_RT-N66U_GUI_9.jpg

On this I think you would have to enter the source Ip or Mac of your ps3, and then every single port it uses.

• TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
  • UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070

, then set priority to lowest for each line.

Then go to your ps3 network setttings, run a network test and check the given upload and download speeds to check it has worked.

There may be an easier / better way of doing this via a script etc that someone cleverer than me might be able to help with, it is also not a guarantee that it will fix your issue, although it does sound like classic lag compensation you are suffering from.

Another way would be to use tomato or DDwrt firmware on your router, or get another cheap router with ddwrt on it, with dhcp etc turned off and put it inline between the main asus and the ps3.

Good luck !
You are a genius. Actually it was my Xbox 360, and used an old router set a lan to wan connection from my belkin n450 router to the Asus so wan port on belkin to ethernet on the Asus router, I set qos on the belkin router to have the regular download speeds I typically get and then the uplink you suggested. Tested a match and wow, I was seeing people like two seconds before they saw me, hit detection was incredible It was like having a godly connection to host, people said I was camping but in reality I was in real time where as they were not and actually throttled like I used to to be. This allowed me to keep my proper ping to host or other players while they suffer lag compensation to me instead, however I did have one issue with getting getting moderate nat type, perhaps I did something wrong, it made connecting to another friend nearly impossible and borderline strict nat it felt like. Is there something I did wrong? I couldn't turn nat off on the belkin or get the proper ports open, however I do believe you you're right and indeed cod did feel like it used to with those high kill games that took no effort, like I said I'm pretty good, I knew something wasn't right and I had qos set on my belkin but it was weak and couldn't process the load where as the Asus can. I'm thinking I'm probably gonna have my friend flash tomato for me to have the ability to set bandwidth. The other question is are all cods the same for upload and is there a trick like this and certain upload for ps3 or Xbox one. My friend gets lag compensation bad but again his nat is moderate. Maybe tomato will have more positive results than the buggy Asus firmware

I could literally be shooting people first as host and my weapon fire rate would drop badly before the upload limit test. Never experienced it on my belkin and I guess maybe it gave me the right upload and that's why when not many devices were on it that it felt smooth almost always. It's sad how they say it's a connection based game but the people with good Internet and equipment get punished the most, I got host on mw3 once before I set qos and cut the acceleration parts out of my router and people would melt me in every gunfight it was awful. I would see someone first and on their screen it would show them seeing me seconds before I saw them which I knew was a bunch of bs. This must be how these youtubers get such amazing game plays against everyone and never suffer lag compensation. It makes sense or they are streaming high quality on speeds like mine so they use most of the upload. Another funny thing to is some random friends of my roommates came over and I assume they were file sharing because that's all I can assume would eat upload like they were and when they used more upload when I spiked hit detection would be perfect and then it would drop and my connection would feel laggy again. But yeah until my friend comes over is there a proper setup for what I mentioned about linking the routers?

The best way to get open NAT is either put your xbox in the DMZ zone on the router, OR use UPNP to assign the ports and DHCP to assign the IP of the console (In this case you would have to QOS by mac address I assume as you would not have a static IP) also reset all the network settings on the console to automatic if you do this.

Yes someone file sharing on your network would have the same effect as QOS on upload, making you not host.

All recent cods use the same lag compensation, they keep saying they have improved it etc, but they haven't as far as I can tell.
The only trick with it, is to set your upload slightly lower than everyone elses, it's a bit of a guessing game and doesn't always work, but from experience In the UK I've found about .5mb seems to work best (even though my cable is 6up100down) Very little upload is required for the actual game, but to host it is beneficial (from everyone elses point of view) to have more.

Good isn't it when it works ;o) glad It's been of some help.

The best way to get open NAT is either put your xbox in the DMZ zone on the router, OR use UPNP to assign the ports and DHCP to assign the IP of the console (In this case you would have to QOS by mac address I assume as you would not have a static IP) also reset all the network settings on the console to automatic if you do this.

Yes someone file sharing on your network would have the same effect as QOS on upload, making you not host.

All recent cods use the same lag compensation, they keep saying they have improved it etc, but they haven't as far as I can tell.
The only trick with it, is to set your upload slightly lower than everyone elses, it's a bit of a guessing game and doesn't always work, but from experience In the UK I've found about .5mb seems to work best (even though my cable is 6up100down) Very little upload is required for the actual game, but to host it is beneficial (from everyone elses point of view) to have more.

Alright so here's the deal, I got tomato USB by shibby since that's the one people seem to recommend. So i wanna set the limiter up on my console I have it as a static ip, I have 50 download and 5 upload. Loving the firmware, very fast and plenty of qos-like features along with the many others on it. So my question is, how do I properly set it up to get the full speeds from my isp as in any settings I should now about Mayhe any guides out there, also I messed around with bandwidth limiter but I'm still kinda confused by it, seems as if my settings aren't right because when I do it my friend lags hard but I have no issues I want my and his console to have the proper set up for download and best packet buffer as I assume this should help the game be smoother maybe? So basically the best download and upload values how I set them and how I give the rest of the devices the remaining bandwidth if you or someone here who's got Skype and is well educated in the tomato firmware I would love to set up a time to get things going on here as I'm a newbie to all these extra settings and setups but sp far tomato looks to me to be probably the best of the router firmwares I have seen and super stable

I would set both consoles by means of bandwidth limiter to 15000kbps down and between 500-750kbps up and see how you get on with that. There are no "best" settings as such, but if you can cap the upload just under everyone else it means you are far less likely to get host and be lag compensated. 150000 download is more than enough download for a good bullet reg.

Once you get it all right through means of tweaking, save your settings.

You don't need to limit the pc's if they are not being used while gaming, if they are (ie you tube is lagging you out etc) then I guess prioritize gaming traffic over normal internet traffic with the QOS settings would be the way forward.

I have never used tomato, but it's bandwidth settings are very similar to tplink devices I have used.

Tomato QOS and bandwidth limiting settings are certainly far superior to asus based firmwares as far as I have read on it.

Bandwidth Limiting on Tomato

QOS Guide

Have fun

Technically not the best.
Best way is to bypass the router and connect directly to the modem.
Or PPPOE relay via the router but then all the other connected clients disconnect.

Is it possible to set up an option for vlans (if your router supports it) so you can have a direct connection via there?