What's new

Asus Router RT-N16U config problem to be accessed from internet with Dongle

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

antonio1

New Around Here
Hi,

I really face a problem of routing and I have no idea how can be solved. I have a router RT-N16U functionally and working with few local PC connected (wired and wireless). The router has access to internet by using USB stick dongle 3G. So I can access very easy internet from one of the PC, but when I try to access the router from somewhere in internet by using the IP allocated (found with what's my IP), I can't see the router available in internet.
Could be the problem because of stick internet? Why I can access internet from LAN but I can't access the router from internet? What should I have to configure, how the routing is done?

Thank you for any help,
I can explain more detailed if there is any misunderstand,
BR,

You cant access the router from internet because of the firewall/security. I suggest you set up pptp vpn and use that to access your router. Its a lot more secure and it is less vulnerable because most bots only check common ports. Having the web UI available from WAN or even SSH is inviting disaster because always all the time you will get brute forced on SSH which will cause your router's CPU usage to skyrocket and slow down your network greatly.

I am talking from experience that i have never had any brute force attempts at my router from pptp but whichever service is visible from internet gets brute forced or abused by bots.

I will try this later, and I hope to know how to manage pptp and VPN I'm new with this, I hope it will work. One of the problem generated could be as cause of G3 dongle stick, because it works like a router, and there appear to have 2 routers. WAN address of router becomes address like 10.128.75.xxx and the public address becomes 109.xxx.xxx.xxx. There could be possible NAT problem and never to solve this. The provider of G3 dongle stick told me that it is not possible without any technical explanation, but I need to access the router from internet.
I also don't think that firewall is the problem, but let me take your advice as a try and to come later with results, just please give me more details about VPN and pptp config.

thank you,

If thats the case try to configure the stick on your PC first to act as a bridge so that it should stay configured that way when attached to your router.

you may need to install the drivers for it to work. You than will either have to use their software or type an ip address in to access the stick. You might be able to configure it from LAN if you look at your router's WAN gateway and use that in your browser.

Maybe it was not very well understood my problem. I will reform the description after giving you the correct answer. "you may need to install the drivers for it to work" - for this advice, I wanna tell you that the driver is installed, the G3 dongle stick is working fine to access internet even if it is connected direct to the PC. The main problem which I have to solve is to be possible to access my LAN or my PC from outside (somewhere from internet). One friend told me something about NAT configure for this, because the G3 dongle works like a router.

So the most important question is, how can I access my LAN network if I have a G3 dongle stick connected to the router and the router is connected to some of PCs (wired and wireless), as soon as for each of them I can access internet without any problem? Why I can have access to internet just in one way (LAN->internet) and not possible in the other way (internet->LAN) as soon as from outside I can have remote access using Teamviewer to one PC, but no access direct to the router.

To be more clear, I have an electronic device connected wired to my router, which device stands as a web page server to give information about some home automation, but that web page is not accessible as soon as I can't access the router, then to have routing to the device?

I hope I was clear this time, and maybe we can find a solution. I want to remind you that I have no internet wire connection, just wireless connection by using the G3 dongle stick.

thank you,

Last edited:
I was saying before you have to either configure the dongle as a bridge or use DMZ/1-2-1 NAT on the dongle itself.
you talk to me like I'm professional, I just heard about NAT, but I have no idea how to configure it. I don't think I can modify anything in dongle stick config, just for the router I can do config. Can you please tell me more detailed why I have to do step by step?

thank you a lot,

In order to access your network you need to set up port forwarding or vpn. To do that requires opening the NAT and since you have 2 NATs before your internet you have to open up both. Navigate to the config page of your stick and enable DMZ mode on your router. Than on your router just do the port forwarding or vpn that you want.

Hi,

I have DMZ just for my router asus, but for dongle config I can't find any DMZ, please see the image attached for my dongle config.

Attachments

• dongle_config.jpg
    dongle_config.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 341
You dont use DMZ for the router but rather for the dongle. There has to be more options becuase the one you showed relates to connecting to your ISP, not the dongle settings.

You dont use DMZ for the router but rather for the dongle. There has to be more options becuase the one you showed relates to connecting to your ISP, not the dongle settings.
as I already said, I check again and I can confirm that I have no DMZ option for dongle stick, but I have DMZ for the router. See the image attached for another stick with another operator, still no DMZ. What should I do to reach this router from internet, does anyone performed this connection ever?

thank you,

Attachments

• dongle_option2.jpg
    dongle_option2.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 406
So, is it any way to access the router as inbound from internet when the router is connected to internet through dongle G3 stick?

change your connection type to RAS modem. You will need to setup WAN on your router to dial your ISP.
I have no idea how to use RAS modem, and I'm sure that it's not possible to use any modem as soon as I have no cable link. I can add as info that I can use TeamViewer without any problem to access one of my LAN PC. So the question is, how TeamViewer can access the LAN but I can't access the LAN in any way just using the browser?

Teamviewer from what i see routes things through their server most likely. I think what teamviewer does is create tunnels. What double NAT blocks is UPNP which means consoles and software that use UPNP to automatically open ports on NAT cant work on double NAT.

RAS modem mode seems like a standard modem. Find out how your dongle connects to your ISP. This may be some setting such as PPPOE, some kind of authentication system and such. Note it down, backup your settings than switch over and try to use the settings from your router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!