What's new

Asus Router VPN, access to LAN?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pmcd

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus rt-56u using Merlin's firmware. The WAN port of the 56u is connected via Ethernet to my Rogers cable modem which then goes out to the internet. Both the 56u and Rogers modem are on the same subnet 255.255.255.0 . The devices behind the 56u have ip's 10.0.1.xxx. The local LAN has ip's 192.168.2.xxx. The default gateway which is the Rogers modem is 192.168.2.1. The 56u has ip 10.0.1.1 but also a LAN ip of 192.168.2.32. I can access the modem using a browser by connecting to 192.168.2.32. The 56u runs an OpenVPN client and devices behind the 56u connect to the internet as though they are using a vpn. On the LAN (192.168.2.xxx) I have a NAS which runs (s)ftp, smb, PleX server, etc... Is there any way for devices behind the Asus router to access the NAS? I seem to be able to access the PleX server by port forwarding 32400, 32401 to a specific ip behind the Asus router. But I cannot access the NAS files via sftp, ftp, smb, nfs... and it would be really convenient to be able to do this.

Can this be done via port forwarding or some kind of ip routing table?

All I need is for one device, a media player ( Shield TV), to be able to access files on the NAS preferably via ftp or smb. The Shield TV is connected to the 56u via Ethernet.

Note: I am not running a VPN server on the router but rather a VPN client (OpenVPN).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!