What's new

ASUS RT-5300 Version 3.0.0.4.380.3941

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binggesoft

Regular Contributor
ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.380.3941
Security Fixed
- Fixed XSS issue in WDS page. Special thanks for Jamie's contribution.
- Fixed LPR buffer overflow issue. Special thanks for GeekPwn contribution.
- Remoted DHCP information disclosure.

Bug Fixed
- Fixed smart sync GUI issue.
- Fixed reboot issue when using repeater mode.

Modifications
- Added bluetooth coexistence option in wireless--> professional.
Bluetooth audio transmission(A2DP) near router would interfere 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, enabling bluetooth coexistence can reduce the speed drop.
Known issue: Enabling this option would also reduce 2.4G maximum throughput a little, so the default value is disable.
- Modified failback behavior when only turn on dual wan failover.
- Modified the firmware upgrade page.

After upgraded to this version, user can see the newer firmware release note in the GUI and unnecessary to go to support site.

Download: Click Here

Does anybody knows what is the meaning of this message:

Aug 6 09:03:03 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 6 09:04:41 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 6 09:07:19 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)

I've never had it before with previous FW, including Merlin, thanks

Last edited:
Does anybody knows what is the meaning of this message:

Aug 6 09:03:03 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 6 09:04:41 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 6 09:07:19 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)

I've never had it before with previous FW, including Merlin, thanks

Make sure you do not block access to Microsoft domains. Asus now uses the same server as Windows to determine if Internet connectivity is up.

Make sure you do not block access to Microsoft domains. Asus now uses the same server as Windows to determine if Internet connectivity is up.
Thanks, as far as I know, I am not blocking anything outside the standard/default configuration, where should I check where things are being blocked?

Thanks, as far as I know, I am not blocking anything outside the standard/default configuration, where should I check where things are being blocked?

You would know if you were blocking it. Some people are going to extreme lengths to block access to numerous domains owned by Microsoft, as they don't want Windows to be sending any telemetry data back to Microsoft - and in doing so they block a bunch of unrelated domains, including that domain used to determine if there is a working Internet connection.

You would know if you were blocking it. Some people are going to extreme lengths to block access to numerous domains owned by Microsoft, as they don't want Windows to be sending any telemetry data back to Microsoft - and in doing so they block a bunch of unrelated domains, including that domain used to determine if there is a working Internet connection.
What if I change the "DNS Probe Max Failures" threshold from 2 to 10? I use only Apple devices

What if I change the "DNS Probe Max Failures" threshold from 2 to 10? I use only Apple devices

No idea. I don't know how that particular piece of code works.

My 5GHZ-1 has been dropping ever since this firmware. It's similar to the issue mentioned in the 68U thread. The SSID doesn't even show. 5GHZ-2 connects fine. After a reboot it comes back and works for a few minutes then disappears again. Once this happens, the settings change to control channel 0 on its own, even if I manually set a channel prior. I'm planning on factory resetting, but wanted to check if anyone else was having this issue. Thanks.

Last edited:
My 5GHZ-1 has been dropping ever since this firmware. It's similar to the issue mentioned in the 68U thread. The SSID doesn't even show. 5GHZ-2 connects fine. After a reboot it comes back and works for a few minutes then disappears again. I'm planning on factory resetting, but wanted to check if anyone else was having this issue. Thanks.
Apart for the very frequent issue or warning message regarding the "DNS probe failed" everything else has been working fine for the last 4 days with no outages

A factory reset seems to have fixed it for now. Same firmware. Very strange.
Are you getting in the system log the DNS probe failed message multiple times every hour?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 07.12.40.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 07.12.40.png
    470.6 KB · Views: 1,178
Are you getting in the system log the DNS probe failed message multiple times every hour?
Yes:
Aug 11 08:15:40 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 08:16:12 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 08:17:50 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 08:22:34 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 08:34:50 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)

Yes:
Aug 11 08:15:40 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 08:16:12 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 08:17:50 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 08:22:34 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 08:34:50 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Well, I am glad it is not just me, I was going to do a Factory Reset, but I do not think it is necessary anymore

I'm also constantly getting the DNS Fail on my AC88U.

Aug 10 17:37:08 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 00:45:28 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 00:46:40 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 12:03:01 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 14:08:00 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 15:28:18 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)

Last edited:
I'm also constantly getting the DNS Fail on my AC88U.

Aug 10 17:37:08 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 00:45:28 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 00:46:40 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 12:03:01 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 14:08:00 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
Aug 11 15:28:18 WAN Connection: DNS probe failed (0/2)
It seems to be an issue introduced with 3941.

My 5GHz-1 SSID started dropping again. I have to assume it is related to this or some other bug in the firmware. The channel says 0 in settings and it happened right after DNS probe failed. A reset temporarily fixes it - sometimes for a few hours, other times for a few min.

This version was first made available 2016-8-5. I know that because I flashed my RT-AC5300 from 3.0.0.4.380.3341 to 3.0.0.4.380.3941 the same day (taking a risk I know). Both my SSIDs immediately disappeared and no clients could connect to wifi. I had smart connect enabled for all three bands + a 2.4GHz guest. Checking the settings the radios were disabled on the Professional tab, which was odd because they were on before the upgrade. Setting to on for all radios did not restore the SSIDs, neither did a power cycle, neither did the wireless button on the router itself.

I restored from factory defaults which worked temporarily. My primary network came up / I could connect to it, but as soon as I re-enabled my single 2.4GHz guest network my standard three wireless networks immediately went down (SSID disappeared from my clients). Same as before - neither power cycle nor the button did anything, and the wireless lights were actually dark on the router which implied to me the radio subsystem was having issues.

The one other thing I noticed is the administration pages would warn me that I was using a private IP in potentially a double NAT scenario. I had never seen that before. I saw this warning on the DDNS page, for one.

Finally I restored back to 3.0.0.4.380.3341, performed a factory reset for giggles and loaded my configuration file backup. Everything now working as expected. What I find interesting is a visit back to ASUS' site shows 3.0.0.4.380.3941 with a date of 2016-8-9 - several days after when I first started playing with it. Did ASUS fix some issues but not increment the version number?

Frankly I don't care - I'll be skipping it for the next release.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I will try reverting.

Edit: All is back to normal after reverting to 3341. It's crazy that they haven't taken down such a broken firmware until they can fix it.

Last edited:
I had strange results in this firmware.
Anything connected to my 2.4ghz band could not see other devices on the network.
5ghz had no problems seeing devices on the 5ghz or LAN.
I checked and isolation was off.
Reapplied firmware a couple of times and reset.

Downgraded and the problem went away.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!